Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Declined Make players steamID show in chat upon joining a server

Melectrome

Legendary
This would make doing reports MUCH easier, especially if someone leaves right after doing something against the rules and you can't catch his steamID for a report. Technically you can get someone's steamID from a demo by converting the demo to a replay, but less experienced players in demo editing don't know how to do that. It would help the overall server experience.

Noodl

Something Else
Staff Member
Developer
Admin

Noodl

Alias a certain key that you press semi often to status, along with whatever it does already. E to "voicemenu 00; status" if you call medic a fair amount.

Lucas

Not really active
Staff Member
Developer
Admin
One thing that came to mind with this. What happens if the chat gets somewhat spammed? Making it difficult to even get his steamID from the chat or console.
If your idea is to only suggest having it upon a player joining the server, then an active chat may ruin that. To make it more effective, it'd also need to be displayed when the player leaves the server.
And I'm not always a fan of adding dialog to the join/leave messages. But if the benefit of having this outweighs just some extra dialog, then I suppose I'm alright with it.

We already have dialog for joining and leaving the servers. You can just add the steamID to that.
Also, for those that decided to not read whatever has been said in this thread.. Melectrome had to repeat himself a couoke of times which to me look annoying and I would not appreciate it.
Before trying to give a solution, please read above before you say the same thing someone else has said. Thanks.

greetings,
Isolated Prick

Ben.

Unremarkable
I agree. This would utilize a players steam id by easily making it public for easy acess to anyone not limited to staff members...

Rainbow12231

Scarcely Lethal
Alot of bad things can happen with this. Not saying its a bad idea more of a impractical one. You see if alot of people get banned or join at once the chat can be spammed. Jim actually did a ban wave the other day for exploiting and then the chat was impossible to read!http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1120133201
filedetails
This is how much one person ban took so joining could be bad with that

hey ya

Dark Elf

hey ya

This would make doing reports MUCH easier, especially if someone leaves right after doing something against the rules and you can't catch his steamID for a report. Technically you can get someone's steamID from a demo by converting the demo to a replay, but less experienced players in demo editing don't know how to do that. It would help the overall server experience.
I've seen a few servers that do this. For the most part however, copy and paste from console or chat isn't super reliable and it can be ugly to look at and clutter chat. Though it sounds silly and time consuming, blackwonder could implement a server log on the website, where you can view all servers, and view the last 5-10 minutes of join/leave history from the server. There you could display steam IDs (or even a link to steam profiles while you're at it but that's redundant and would only help first time reporters).

EDIT: Didn't read what @Lucas said, so I guess my suggestion already exists. But I support the idea of adding steam IDs to the dialog.

If you go to steam and look on you friends list and go to recently played with,
it looks like this https://gyazo.com/9b5608044d68a4a9d15d89294d70f6e7
you can use a website that takes the steam profile URL and turns it into thier ID. I use https://steamid.io/
This is a very inaccurate way of doing it. Most of the time when it's 'current players' it only shows about 5-6 people (from my experience) on the server you're currently on, sometimes even people who recently left. The 'recently played with' tab also doesn't seem to accurately display it, as (from my experience) I could have just played a server, but it only shows people from a server I played 3 days ago.

Last edited:

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Top Bottom