Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Getting rank

What do you do to get points?

• Total voters

philipandwaffle

Strange
You are only as good as your rank, after being told I was a noob in a BlackWonder hightower server I decided that that was the last time I was to be insulted in an online video game.

So I decided to become top in that server, so that no one could call me a noob ever again. After about 4-6 days of grinding I achieved this goal and became a god to mere mortals.No one ever insulted me again.
how to rank.jpg
<~~ now I have a gold medal beside my name.
This is what I learnt from my experience.

At the start of my journey it was easy, as you get more points if you kill someone who has more points than you, meaning that as you get a higher rank the harder it is to get points, with the least amount of points per kill being 2.
kill.jpg

This makes it very hard to progress once you get to a certain point in your server.

You can also get points by getting killstreaks:
killstrak.jpg

I got 6 kills so I get 6 points, if I get 20 kills I get 20 points. However I only start to get points for killsreaks when I get 5, meaning that I won't get any points for a 4 killstreak.

The only way to lose points (that I'm aware of) is to die. To make things even more difficult you lose more points if there is a bigger point difference between you and your killer. this results in losing massive amounts of points if you are killed by someone with lower points.
losing 4.jpg

My killer had less points than me by a moderate amount, so I lost 4 points.
losing 8.jpg

My killer had less points than me by A LOT, so I lost 8 points.

The biggest problem (for me) is that to break even I had to get 4 kills in one life, this wasn't really hard (not to jerk myself off) but more time consuming.

Another way to get points is to preform special tasks. Include extinguishing a teammate, air shooting someone with a rocket or a pipe (I'm not sure if other projectiles work), reflecting rockets, hitting head shots, getting assists, etc. As you can see there are multiple strategies to farm points, with each strategies effectiveness being dependant on your own skill level as well as the other team's class composition.

Soldier and Demomen mains I suggest going for air shots as you get 5 points for every one you hit regardless of point difference between you and your opponent. This is especially effective if there are lots of enemy Soldiers and Demos and they will most likely be blast jumping, giving you plenty of chances to get air shots.
airshot.jpg

You don't need to kill them just to hit them while they are airborne, you can even do splash damage and it counts as an air shot, just be aware that it can be buggy and will not always register.

Sniper and ambassador Spies go for headshot kills as you will get a total of 5 points (2 points minimum for a kill and 3 points as a bonus)
headshotkill.jpg

if there are lots of soldiers in the enemy team it may be better to go Pyro and reflect rockets, or use the scorch shot/detonator to light people on fire and get assists. (this is quite effective as no matter how many points you have you will always get 2 for an assist) Pyro can also extinguish teammates to get 3 points, also regardless of current points.

Hope this helped, post any questions and I'll try to answer.

Attachments

• assist.jpg
    assist.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 419
  • headshotkill.jpg
    headshotkill.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 539

Daddy Puddin'

Truly Feared
hehe, noob.
that is sarcasm, admins, no ugh ratings

You shouldn't listen to people say about you, especially if it's insults but still, congrats on rank 1, bud.
Also, the easiest way to get points is literally Sniper if you're good at the class (5 points a pop ez pz).

philipandwaffle

Strange
hehe, noob.

You shouldn't listen to people say about you, especially if it's insults but still, congrats on rank 1, bud.
Also, the easiest way to get points is literally Sniper if you're good at the class (5 points a pop ez pz).
yeah, I know it was sarcasm, just making a joke lol. I personally prefer solly/demo as i can hit air shots, but I imagine if you're good at sniper you can farm points pretty hard

Paragon

Foster The People

Paragon

Since we are on the topic of points there should be a fix or balance of it on JB, ive met 5 trigger happy people in JB who do nothing but sit on blue to grind, there needs to be a massive point loss when they die to reds and such a minor increase when they kill one.

Last edited:

philipandwaffle

Strange
Since we are on the topic of points there should be a fix or balance of it on JB, ive met 5 trigger happy people in JB who do nothing but sit on blue to grind there needs to be a massive point loss when they die to reds.
I don't play much jb, but I agree that they shouldn't get points for what is effectively idling

Grizzly

Hunky Chunk of Love
hehe, noob.

I wasn't thinking about it until you mentioned it :^)

As for the actual thread, I don't farm points. I'm already obviously the coolest person in the world.
Seriously tho, I'm not enough into TF2 to care ^^

philipandwaffle

Strange
I wasn't thinking about it until you mentioned it :^)

As for the actual thread, I don't farm points. I'm already obviously the coolest person in the world.
Seriously tho, I'm not enough into TF2 to care ^^
yea, that's fair, tbh most don't really care about the point/rank system, I just found it interesting to come up with strats to get points most efficiently

philipandwaffle

Strange
Welp time to sm_tfstats_reset
Pls no ;-;
If you reset the rank I will become once again vulnerable to people calling me a noob. I dont think my self confidence can take another blow.

Tbh I actually enjoy it when the ranks reset, it means that I can go for another point grind

Last edited:

XesiB

Unremarkable
Do people actually call you noob solely based on that ambiguous rank? If so then that is kinda sad......... That they waste their time on a videogame to judge people HAHAHA (Btw i played JB for about 5 hours a couple of days ago and got into rank 1, so I am guessing JB is the easiest to get points)

philipandwaffle

Strange
Do people actually call you noob solely based on that ambiguous rank? If so then that is kinda sad......... That they waste their time on a videogame to judge people HAHAHA (Btw i played JB for about 5 hours a couple of days ago and got into rank 1, so I am guessing JB is the easiest to get points)
It's kinda funny, after I got top rank someone said "how big does your ego have to be to put a 1 beside your name" I told them that I was literally top rank in the server. Unfortunately they didn't reply, for some reason :/

SleepyVevo

Scarcely Lethal
I was a top 10 US 2fort player, i didn't care how much i got points. i just had fun in that server

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 6)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 8)

Top Bottom