Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Declined Anti Lenny Plugin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirakia

Positively Inhumane
Since i know many of us (myself included) are tired of those Lenny posters/spammers
But recently i saw a Server that had some sort of Anit-Lenny Plugin that prevents from anyone posting one into the Chat and instead gives out a private Message to that Player saying "No Lenny Fags" or somethign xD
So yeah, why not including it here

Ben289

Ben Junior

Ben

Lennys are simply part of TF2 now, the TF2 community enjoy it, so people do it. It's not exactly "cancerous" and if it is then we can gag people for it, I occasionally put a lenny in chat and it can start a chain of people doing it, but since I am normally on one of the most cancerous gamemodes in TF2, I can say that I rarely see lennys spammed in a way which I need to gag them for it.

And I know your tolerance for lennys is extremely low as I remember one of the first reports I handled was you reporting someone for "spamming lennys" even though there was a good 2 - 5 minutes inbetween each one. So I don't actually believe this is even worth considering.

ɥʇǝɐɹᴉɥ

Notably Dangerous
The Lennyface.jpg meme, if you want to call it that, was never funny. At the moment, it's a trend that's barely kept alive by 12-16 year old kids who saw it once and thought it was hilarious, which it clearly isn't and is certainly annoying when it's in every two sentences.

But, I don't think we need an Anti-Lenny plugin as the Lennyface, although cancerous, is very useful to me; I use it to measure the level of cancer in a certain person, actually.
3 Lennies per sentence? Cancer.
2 Lennies per sentence? Cancer.
1 Lenny per sentence? Cancer.

Zeprus

Uncharitable

Zeprus

saying "No Lenny Fags" or somethign xD
Yes, let's insult them for trying to express something. xD
So yeah, why not including it here
Because all it really does is limit the freedom of speech and expression, if you don't like it simply mute the players in your client. If they're spamming it, report them to an admin.
Lennys are simply part of TF2 now, the TF2 community enjoy it, so people do it. It's not exactly "cancerous"
No.

I see where this request is coming from, I don't like the lennyface either. But that's no reason to try and censor them. Just because you dislike it it doesn't mean it causes any particular harm.
The lennyface is not disrespectful, it's not an insult and when it's not spammed it's not an issue.
Of course you could argue that people use it to provoke by putting it in chat after e.g. killing you. But so could someone say "truck" after each kill and it would just be as provocative.

Benedevil

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Owner
Developer
I was actually very often considering coding a plugin that would allow you to activate a filter for a person that always uses lennies out of context. The lenny face was one of my most loved things back in 2013, but since then it's just being used out of context. No one seems to know anymore when to use a lenny and spamming one without ANY words or meaning behind it, is just annoying, but I mostly ignore it.
Anyway, I might look into some solutions, but I should really get back to doing more PHP so I can code some nice interfaces, that the admins can use to manage teambans and spraybans.

Timo

I watch you sleep c:
Staff Member
Admin
╭∩╮( ͡° ل͟ ͡° )╭∩╮

Maybe some kind of anti spam where it gags a person starting 1 min and advances if they continue.

Buster

Who you gonna call?!
Staff Member
Admin

Corvin

I member on blueprint it was blocked and no one really complained about it. People either liked that it's blocked or they said "oh well, I get some other binds then to look funny".

Zeprus

Uncharitable

Zeprus

How about instead of blocking a person from using Lennys, give players the option to toggle if they want to see Lennys or not? Wouldn't limit freedom of speech and still give everyone the option to remove Lennys from their game. This seems like the optimal solution to me. (given that it's possible of course)

ɥʇǝɐɹᴉɥ

Notably Dangerous
How about instead of blocking a person from using Lennys, give players the option to toggle if they want to see Lennys or not? Wouldn't limit freedom of speech and still give everyone the option to remove Lennys from their game. This seems like the optimal solution to me. (given that it's possible of course)

IrIGDQz.png

OT: A toggle command would be nice.

Ben289

Ben Junior

Ben

There are so many different versions of lenny that I think it would be rather easy to get past the system.

Steve Harvey Oswald

Blackwonder's Own
There are so many different versions of lenny that I think it would be rather easy to get past the system.

This is totally right. I used to be a forum mod on a gmod community (rip gmod community) and we did something like this. Not only did people find loopholes with other lennys but they also became obsessed with spamming lennys. In the end I was stuck cleaning up some messes after some silly billies googled "Lenny variants."

DasMalzbier| Lazy Panda

Tfw ab0se is not an allowed title word
Admin
Now I normally wouldn't comment on threads like this, but there is a particular thing that bugs me here:
limit the freedom of speech and expression
First, you really like to disagree with people (and getting on their nerves), do you? Second, you do know that freedom of speech means jackshit on internet forums? What will you do? Try filing a lawsuit? Good luck with that buddy. There are forums/servers that banned talking about entire communities/persons (ehm, panda community, ehm). Where is the freedom of speech there? Why do you expect us to have it? I am all for it, of course, but it is unfair to demand that we follow a rule that is not even accepted by everyone? You know, even muting spammers is a violation of that rule. In rl, you can talk as much about anything in any language and repeat it as many times as you want. On our server, while you can talk about anything, you can only talk English in mic chat. Also, you are forbidden to spam. And trying to protect Lenny faces under the argument of "oh that is a violation of freedom of speech"? Really? Why was there no outcry for the people that like to "talk" (spam) a lot? I also dislike Lenny faces, but I see no point in banning them, as it be too much work for fake Bene to fix all the loopholes. Also, every admin has a different tolerance on what could be defined as "Lenny spam". So my suggestion is simply: If an admin is online, he can manage the situation himself. Warn the player if it gets to much or ask people to stop/lessen it when another player is starting to get annoyed. If there is no admin available, kindly ask the player(s) in question to stop, and if they don't/try to provoke you, make a report. Then it it up to the admin who looks through the report to determine if a punishment is needed or not.

Tbh, I don't think we need to deeply discuss this. It is not a major problem, nor does it have any effect on the gameplay on any server (maybe jailbreak with all its' orders, but what do I know?). It should be up to every admin to make a decision for themselves. If players think that the Lenny face is spam, they should make a report on it. But do we really need a special plug-in just for Lenny faces? I don't think so.

K. Thx. Bay. Malz.

Schedewind

Mildly Menacing
Now I normally wouldn't comment on threads like this, but there is a particular thing that bugs me here:

First, you really like to disagree with people (and getting on their nerves), do you? Second, you do know that freedom of speech means jackshit on internet forums? What will you do? Try filing a lawsuit? Good luck with that buddy. There are forums/servers that banned talking about entire communities/persons (ehm, panda community, ehm). Where is the freedom of speech there? Why do you expect us to have it? I am all for it, of course, but it is unfair to demand that we follow a rule that is not even accepted by everyone? You know, even muting spammers is a violation of that rule. In rl, you can talk as much about anything in any language and repeat it as many times as you want. On our server, while you can talk about anything, you can only talk English in mic chat. Also, you are forbidden to spam. And trying to protect Lenny faces under the argument of "oh that is a violation of freedom of speech"? Really? Why was there no outcry for the people that like to "talk" (spam) a lot? I also dislike Lenny faces, but I see no point in banning them, as it be too much work for fake Bene to fix all the loopholes. Also, every admin has a different tolerance on what could be defined as "Lenny spam". So my suggestion is simply: If an admin is online, he can manage the situation himself. Warn the player if it gets to much or ask people to stop/lessen it when another player is starting to get annoyed. If there is no admin available, kindly ask the player(s) in question to stop, and if they don't/try to provoke you, make a report. Then it it up to the admin who looks through the report to determine if a punishment is needed or not.

Tbh, I don't think we need to deeply discuss this. It is not a major problem, nor does it have any effect on the gameplay on any server (maybe jailbreak with all its' orders, but what do I know?). It should be up to every admin to make a decision for themselves. If players think that the Lenny face is spam, they should make a report on it. But do we really need a special plug-in just for Lenny faces? I don't think so.

K. Thx. Bay. Malz.

triggered 1.gif
triggered 2.gif
triggered 3.gif
butthurt.gif

He is just stating his opinion... What's wrong with disagreeing lmao.

Zeprus

Uncharitable

Zeprus

great-laugh-reaction-gif.gif

First, you really like to disagree with people (and getting on their nerves), do you?
The fact that I form an opinion on things and express it instead of staying quiet does not mean that I like to disagree with everything and annoy everyone. Fuck off
Second, you do know that freedom of speech means jackshit on internet forums? What will you do? Try filing a lawsuit? Good luck with that buddy. There are forums/servers that banned talking about entire communities/persons (ehm, panda community, ehm). Where is the freedom of speech there? Why do you expect us to have it? I am all for it, of course, but it is unfair to demand that we follow a rule that is not even accepted by everyone?
In no way did I say that I expect everyone to follow this rule. I just strongly support it and therefore use it as an argument. Lenny faces do NOT cause any harm by themselves. And installing a plugin that doesn't fix anything but only limits freedom of speech sounds incredibly stupid to me.
What will you do? Try filing a lawsuit? Good luck with that buddy.
Getting ridiculous, are we?
You know, even muting spammers is a violation of that rule. In rl, you can talk as much about anything in any language and repeat it as many times as you want.
No. Even in "rl" there are rules limiting when you can talk. For example in school. Breaking those rules can get you excluded from class (sticking to my example here) for some amount of time.
On our server, while you can talk about anything, you can only talk English in mic chat. Also, you are forbidden to spam. And trying to protect Lenny faces under the argument of "oh that is a violation of freedom of speech"? Really? Why was there no outcry for the people that like to "talk" (spam) a lot?
Those things disturb communication, an occasional Lenny doesn't.
I also dislike Lenny faces, but I see no point in banning them, as it be too much work for fake Bene to fix all the loopholes. Also, every admin has a different tolerance on what could be defined as "Lenny spam". So my suggestion is simply: If an admin is online, he can manage the situation himself. Warn the player if it gets to much or ask people to stop/lessen it when another player is starting to get annoyed. If there is no admin available, kindly ask the player(s) in question to stop, and if they don't/try to provoke you, make a report. Then it it up to the admin who looks through the report to determine if a punishment is needed or not.

And now you're just agreeing with me, what was the point in the first part of your post anyways?

DasMalzbier| Lazy Panda

Tfw ab0se is not an allowed title word
Admin
The fact that I form an opinion on things and express it instead of staying quiet does not mean that I like to disagree with everything and annoy everyone. Fuck off

Well, you opinion and thoughts usually clashes with most of the admins and it even got you temporarily banned from discord.

In no way did I say that I expect everyone to follow this rule. I just strongly support it and therefore use it as an argument. Lenny faces do NOT cause any harm by themselves. And installing a plugin that doesn't fix anything but only limits freedom of speech sounds incredibly stupid to me.
I just find it ridiculous to try and defend "Lenny faces" under the freedom of speech... on the internet. But hey, that is just my opinion.

Getting ridiculous, are we?
Yes, it was not meant to be taken serious.

No. Even in "rl" there are rules limiting when you can talk. For example in school. Breaking those rules can get you excluded from class (sticking to my example here) for some amount of time.
Yes, there are many places where you are limited when and about what to talk. But at home/in public, you should be allowed to do the things I listed. But I see no reason in further discussing this part, as there is not much relevant to say about it anymore.

Those things disturb communication, an occasional Lenny doesn't.
Well, I am not trying to ban Lennys. More below.

And now you're just agreeing with me, what was the point in the first part of your post anyways?
I just found it ridiculous that you tried to defend the Lenny under the freedom of speech. Nothing more or less. And if you meant my first comment, it was just something I noticed myself and wanted to point out. Was it necessary? Probably not. Did it hurt to say? I don't think so.

𝐆𝐑𝐗𝐃

ᴄʟᴇᴠᴇʀ ɢɪʀʟ

MECHA-G

I cannot believe things are getting so heated up about Lennies on here, but then people do tend to make arguments out of the most trivial things on these forums, I find. Can we get this thread back on track please?

I'm not that bothered by Lennies myself, unless people are spamming them without any context. A plugin might work, but I'm sure people would find a way around it to further irritate people. Still, we'll see what Bene thinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Top Bottom