Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The fundamental problems with !coinflip (and how it allowed me to accidentally overflow my coin count to the deep negatives)

LucasRCD

Strange
So uh, hello. I'm making a post on the forums since the problem I ran into doesn't fit within the Discord's standard procedure for reporting.

I've basically been playing on a Brazilian Blackwonder 2fort server since I started playing TF2 (which was more or less two months ago). I really just played casually. Sometimes I'd get bored and spectate, and as someone with far too much free time on his hands, I would then spend way too much time trying to obtain coins using the !coinflip command, just doing long sessions of grinding so that I wouldn't have to worry about it in the long run. I've used the storebot a lot to get metals, so when I eventually settled my eyes on getting a Key (displayed as 882K coins in-game), I thought to myself "surely I can reach that with a little bit of time investment", only to be crushed upon discovering the price wasn't 882K credits, but 1 trillion credits. I found out that you could manually input betting amounts beyond the regular 10K max from the predetermined values, so the absurd price didn't stop me from trying to reach it, and I'd eventually discover the hard way that you physically can't reach anywhere near that amount. As a result, my amount of coins is sitting at -2093036444. (Disclaimer: I wasn't aware that Keys were supposed to be unobtainable because it wasn't reflected in-game on the server I was on and I hadn't been on the Discord until this very day, after the fact. None of this was meant in malice, I wasn't looking to break anything like this)

So here's the thing. The !coinflip command is completely broken. The winning odds for Heads is skewed in your favor, turning the 50% chance of winning to a 99% chance in practice, making it incredibly easy for anyone to amass an absurd amount of coins. Another problem is that there's no upper limit to how much you can bet with the command, which means that if you spend any amount of time using it, you'll make a lot of coins. Naturally this means I was eventually able to go beyond 1 billion coins, which I naively assumed was just intended behavior and that the 1 trillion coin Keys were supposed to be obtained with this method. It seems that beyond a certain point after that, the coin amount overflows into the negatives. I had about 3 million coins before I learned you could manually bet more coins than the maximum normally allowed, which I mistakenly assumed was 1000 for the longest time because I hadn't noticed there was a second page listing up to 10K. I wouldn't even mind losing all the coins I had prior to that point, I just wanna be able to make use of the Storebot again.

I was just using the command as it currently works, all under the assumption it was working as intended; my intent was never to use it exploitatively. The command is fundamentally broken. Either fix the odds to be actually 50/50, put a limit on how much you can manually bet (or just remove that functionality entirely), or add a hard limit to how many coins you can hold so nobody else can risk accidentally locking themselves off of the in-game store and storebot (and fix the price listings so that they actually don't mislead any more people into attempting to reach it as not everyone who plays on the servers will bother joining the Discord to learn about that information). Especially since, as I read in the pins of the #requesthelp channel, that the balancing and basically scamming the bot was a problem, this should be a high priority since ANYONE can do this, the only limiting factor being patience rather than luck. I'm not the only person who's been affected by this, as at least one other person managed to be unfortunate enough to stumble upon this same situation.

EDIT: I should also clarify that I hadn't bought anything or used the tradebot in any capacity after discovering the easy coin method.

Last edited:

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 15)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Top Bottom