Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Answered How do I convert .dem files...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warrak

Rage Inducing

Warrak

I want to convert .dem files to other video formats without corrupting the recording in itself. I've looked and looked and nothing came to my avail. I was hoping that since there are quite a few people here that are experienced with demos that you might know a little bit more about it than I do. Mostly because I want to be able to edit the demo and upload it to youtube.

Things I've tried:
- recording the demo through bandicam ( Result: was a rather laggy and/or low quality recording, lower than I wanted and was sub satisfactory to re-watch.)
- I tried literally changing the file name to .mov or .mp4 ( Result: corrupting the demo)
- Using 3rd party file conversion programs ( Result: I got a virus, cool. )

Chris TCC

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Admin
Screen record the demo playback. There are multiple options. A few that I know:
- Fraps
- OBS
- Shadowplay
- windows 10 built in recorder

Warrak

Rage Inducing

Warrak

Screen record the demo playback. There are multiple options. A few that I know:
- Fraps
- OBS
- Shadowplay
- windows 10 built in recorder
The windows 10 recorder worked better than most of the alternatives, recording quality isn't the best but It's manageable. I'll leave this thread open for a week so that others could maybe provide their possible alternatives, but if there's nothing else viable out there. I'll give the "winner" thing to your answer.

Chris TCC

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Admin
The windows 10 recorder worked better than most of the alternatives, recording quality isn't the best but It's manageable. I'll leave this thread open for a week so that others could maybe provide their possible alternatives, but if there's nothing else viable out there. I'll give the "winner" thing to your answer.
Did you try modifying the settings? You need to enter Xbox to modify some settings, most of them are in the windows settings app however. In there you should be able to modify the framerate and other minor things.
I forgot to add some other alternatives:
- Camtasia (Personally loved that software)
- screencast-o-matic (premium, the free version has a massive watermark)
and here are some that I googled, but personally never used.
- camstudio
- screenflow
- iSpring suite

There are also some conversion software that claim to be able to convert demo files to MP4, but I am highly skeptical of these claims. You could try those too, if you want to.

Of course, my last resort is to get some help, ask someone for help in converting the videos for you. There is bound to be one person that can convert the videos nicely for you.

Hope this helps!

Noodl

Something Else
Staff Member
Developer
Admin

Noodl

If you want to do it properly with best quality, use Lawena/SrcDemo2.

Don't try use any shortcut programs that claim to convert for you. Demos require the game to be used at some point since they're simply a collection of coordinates and events the game uses to simulate what you recorded, hence their tiny size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Top Bottom