Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Hammer World Editor - Animated Seamless Scrolling Texture (Not a GIF)

Tony The Fat Fluffy Wolf

The Fattest and the Fluffiest
Staff Member
Admin
Just making this, because I can't seem to find a well explained version of this anywhere else. Most tutorials on how to do this, don't explain it very well.
Making a Seamless Scrolling Animated Texture for Hammer...

What I mean:
2019-12-25_17-47-43.gif

So obviously, first you want your texture that you want to use. For this example, I'll do the same as the Preview above; a Sliding Gradient.
This image can be created using any photo editing software you want. Photoshop/GIMP/Paint.net est... Be sure to save the file as a transparent supported format. Mine is saved as a TGA file. (The texture shown is created white, so that it can be set any colour I want later, in hammer...)
1577296554592.png

When you have your texture image created, you need to convert it to a Valve Texture File, same as if you were importing any other custom texture.
This is done in VTFEdit. Import the file as normal and save it in your tf/materials/[Create custom folder here]/ directory. Make sure to Tick Auto Create VMT File under options!
Mine looks like this so far: tf/materials/tony/gradientslide.vtf
1577296816195.png

--
If you were to load the texture in hammer now. It would look right, but it wouldn't move. To make it scroll we need to edit the VMT File.
Edit the file as shown below. Copy it exactly, except the line shown. Do Not Edit the $basetexture line! (This will break your texture!)
--

Edit the values as required:
texturescrollrate is the speed of the scroll. 0.5 is quite slow, as shown in the example image.
texturescrollangle is the direction of the scroll. 270 is down, as shown in the example image. (0 = LEFT, 90 = UP, 180 = RIGHT)

1577297040075.png

IF YOU LOAD TF2 AND THE TEXTURE DOESN'T MOVE:
- The texture will not move while in hammer, it is not supported, try launching tf2.
- Make sure the file is copied correctly as shown above.
- Restart Hammer and/or TF2 after adding the texture.

Attachments

• 1577297098810.png
    1577297098810.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 268
  • 1577297108026.png
    1577297108026.png
    17.7 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Top Bottom