Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Completed Fixing the slot waster plague

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

Strange

lura

As with my last post, this probably only concerns one server/set of servers (Hightower No Carts).

What is a slot waster?
Somebody who joins a game and intentionally wastes their player slot - running around in spawn, congaing around the map, or otherwise refusing to fight and play the game properly. AFK people don't fit this, an AFK timer is a separate issue that I want to bring up. Friendlies come under the umbrella of slot wasters.

Why is this so bad?
I've been on this server multiple times where an entire team was refusing to play bar around 2 people. This made a massive inbalance (8v2), making it unfun for the people who actually want to play properly.

Slot wasters are also pretty damn toxic - killing them or otherwise calling them out on their behaviour makes them hostile towards me in chat. Usually they get angry enough to fight back, but the damage has been done by then.

Nearly every time I play, I get around an entire team hating me because I play the game properly.

Simply put, this is an issue that I believe needs fixing. It's getting to the point where I can join the server and have nearly a 100% chance of encountering a slot waster or group of slot wasters, and about a 80% chance they are also toxic towards me too. I don't personally get offended by what the people say, but that doesn't make it not wrong or actually offensive, especially for other people.

You *could* argue that by virtue of them becoming toxic, it breaks rules anyway, but IMO they should be rooted out first so that the players who want to actually *play the game* can play without having to deal with people who refuse to play properly.

Of course, there's the argument of "people should be able to play as they wish" - It's a stupid argument. This isn't "piss about fortress 2" or "ruin the game for people who want to play fortress 2" - it's a deathmatch server and should be treated as such.

tomato.kitty.tf

The King of Kats
Thanks again for creating this thread <3

I completely agree with you, there's no need to have these slot wasters doing absolutely nothing when there are players that actually want to play the game like it's supposed to be... and yes, most of them are very toxic/rude while wasting a slot at the same time.

I've tried dozens of times to explain them that we don't encourage friendlies or protect them but they just won't listen and will start insulting/etc whoever kills them which is completely ridiculous, pathetic and childish.
I've already thought of many solutions but those are just little patches that won't fix anything, the friendly plugin was one but it's not really a fix.

So, what should we do?

~ Make a rule stating that friendlies are not allowed on this server (I'd love this but at the same time I think it's a bit excessive yet necessary) So that's why i'm going to make a poll on this thread, i'd like to hear yer opinions on this.

OR

~ Make a rule that will let them roam free but limit the number of friendlies that can be in the server at any time so it doesn't disrupt the pace of the game for it to become unplayable

OR

~ Let the friendly cancer destroy us.

Last edited:

Wanka

Head Mod
Staff Member
Admin

spoi

I hate slot wasters. They can be on any server and do many things to waste time and hold up a line of people trying to get onto the server (i.e. friendlies or AFK's, though there is an AFK timer), so I agree with this.
There are servers where they can be as carefree to their hearts content, such as Dispenz0r's Fun Server, many trade servers, and the likes. If they want to fuck around and conga, go there where people will willingly do such a thing.

Ways of riding them is votekicking (though their bum buddies will back them up and keep them in the server), driving them off with toxicity (bad), bringing an individual of power onto the server to boot them out or to play the game properly until they get bored and either go out and fight or leave. None of these have a 100% success rate of removing slot wasters (besides forcekicking them) but at least it's something.
Maybe Benedevil could find a plugin that requires you to do a set amount of damage within a set amount of time otherwise the player will be kicked, similar to Overwatch's AFK system. It's just an idea.

Laura

Strange

lura

Unfortunately that kind of plugin punishes medics and such who don't do damage but support.

Wanka

Head Mod
Staff Member
Admin

spoi

Unfortunately that kind of plugin punishes medics and such who don't do damage but support.
Actually, damage done by your heal target is seen as damage done by you too, stacking up on your Damage stat on the scoreboard. It wouldn't kick them because of it.

Timo

I watch you sleep c:
Staff Member
Admin
While I do agree that an AFK timer would be useful, I don't see much of a problem with friendlies. Of course they can be annoying at times, but that is their way they want to play the game. If they think they gotta be toxic when getting killed, they will be punished if it gets out of hand.

Being friendly is a big part of the tf community, it wouldn't be that great if we would kick players for being friendly.

But if it leads to problems like a teaming hale, they will be punished.

We also never encouraged friendlies in any way. Even though they think we do.. I lost the count of how many times they scream "ADMIN DO SOMETHING HE IS KILLING ME WHILE I'M FRIENDLY" at me.

tomato.kitty.tf

The King of Kats
Being friendly is a big part of the tf community, it wouldn't be that great if we would kick players for being friendly.

It's not funny nor playable while it's 2vs10 because the 8 players left in your team are standing still in the spawn taunting.
and this happens constantly

Laura

Strange

lura

> While I do agree that an AFK timer would be useful, I don't see much of a problem with friendlies. Of course they can be annoying at times, but that is their way they want to play the game

Does their way (the wrong way, the way the game was not designed to be played) trump the way the game was meant to be played?

> Being friendly is a big part of the tf community, it wouldn't be that great if we would kick players for being friendly.

Playing the game properly is a bigger part and much more important part of the Team Fortress community. Kicking players for not playing is logical - they're breaking the rules of the game itself by refusing to play it properly.

> We also never encouraged friendlies in any way.

Not taking action against them encourages them that they're right to play like that and anyone who ruins their """""""""fun""""""""" is a tryhard.

Console

Server Clearing
Maybe a anti afk thing can't remember name but i wanna Play but i can't because people is taking the spots and is only afk

tomato.kitty.tf

The King of Kats
Benedevil has decided to create a Friendly server using the Smash EU server.
The GER Hightower No carts server will be against friendlies, a rule will be added to the ruleset.

Thread closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Top Bottom