Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Declined Do donators get advantages in DR (deathrun)?

DeliriouS

Scarcely Lethal
In deathrun, we have a second life if we die at first 10 seconds.. but it seems that if you're a donator, you ALWAYS have a second life.

PERSONALLY, i don't think donors should have ANY type of advantages ingame, even if they donated a key or two, or even their fking inventory.

If what i said at first line shouldn't be happening, then there's sometype of bug/problem here.

If it does, i suggest removing advantages from donors, really makes it unfair for other players.

Last edited:

Yelowchy

Gore-Spattered
In deathrun, we have a second life if we die at first 10 seconds.. but it seems that if you're a donator, you ALWAYS have a second life.

PERSONALLY, i don't think donors should have ANY type of advantages ingame, even if they donated a key or two, or even their fking inventory.

If what i said at first line shouldn't be happening, then there's sometype of bug/problem here.

If it does, i suggest removing advantages from donors, really makes it unfair for other players.
Donators get a few seconds longer of second life. as a perma-donor who has played a lot of deathrun, I can confirm it has saved my life on many occasions.

On the topic of removing it however... i never really understood why donors such as myself get such an unfair advantage over other player. I think both normal players and donors should have access to the extra-long second life.

Jim

Cutiepie.tf
Staff Member
Admin
The second life only applies for a few seconds total and only a few more for donors. It is not an advantage since it is 99% of the time used just to suicide into the first trap to waste it knowing you'll get a second life.

Yelowchy

Gore-Spattered
The second life only applies for a few seconds total and only a few more for donors. It is not an advantage since it is 99% of the time used just to suicide into the first trap to waste it knowing you'll get a second life.
Not true. It’s usually used for bypassing the first traps, not suiciding in them

DeliriouS

Scarcely Lethal
Poll created.

To be honest, donators should NEVER have advantages in any type of game - It's much better for donators to only revive at the 1st 10 seconds, just like everyone else.

Yelowchy

Gore-Spattered
Poll created.

To be honest, donators should NEVER have advantages in any type of game - It's much better for donators to only revive at the 1st 10 seconds, just like everyone else.
No reason to remove it, just make it available for everyone

Alex.bsp

Professional Nap Taker
Staff Member
Admin
Mapper
Here's why it should stay the way it is:
  1. Encouraging players to donate. I understand that this is a pretty cheap way of making players donate for those extra few seconds of life to suicide into traps and then respawn, but that adds a reason for them to donate. Donating helps bene continue running the servers and helps him with irl payments. Also, we're not communist. Just because a couple of people can't afford or feel that it's unfair to get a 0.5% advantage, doesn't mean we're going to make it available for everyone. Let's say you're everyday player gets on one of our deathrun servers and finds out that we have a second life mechanic, so they run headfirst into the traps at the beginning hoping to get death to active it and kill him. They use this feature on our servers for some time now, but sometimes they're a second too late and wonder if they can somehow get a few seconds more, and then they hear/see/smell that by donating they get some really awesome perks and oh! You get some extra seconds to get a second life on deathrun! Therefore giving them another reason to donate.
  2. It doesn't give a big advantage. Yes, you caught us, it does shamelessly give you an advantage, but it's not like a player can bhop half across the map, die, and then respawns to finish. Depending on the map on whether how many traps you can skip before your 10 seconds are up can vary, but I'm going to average the distance between traps. (Warning: This is very nerdy and need basic understanding on how Hammer Editor works. Also "hu" means hammer units). Let's say the distance between red's spawn and the first trap is 576hu and it takes 2.5 seconds to reach the first trap. The distance between all traps from one another is 384hu and takes 2 seconds to reach them. If death doesn't activate the traps on you and your speed is 107%, you will be able to pass 4 - 6 traps before 10 seconds is up. You have 5 extra seconds as a donor which will mean you will be able to pass 5 - 7 traps before 15 seconds is up. I've tested, but only on one deathrun map (supermario64). Now, I understand that some deathrun maps have an unnecessary delay before players are able to leave spawn. Sometimes it's a 3-second delay, and sometimes it's a 10-second delay. Why some map makers do this is out of this world. I also understand that the distance between traps can also vary. Again, sometimes the traps are closer and sometimes they're spread out from one another by a lot. I only estimated the average and reasonable distances, but it goes to show that on an average deathrun map, hypothetically speaking, having a few extra seconds doesn't give you a major advantage.
  3. It should be easier and more common for reds to reach the end. Even if you do get a "major advantage" by having death waste traps on donors, that's good! What's the most entertaining part of deathrun? The mini-games at the end! Since donors are having death waste traps on them farther away then what normal players are able to reach, then you have a higher chance of being able to play them sweet mini-games; However, someone could hate the server and choose "win game" instead. You can say "If people do love mini-games so much, why doesn't death always give freerun?" I can't speak for all of the cool players on deathrun, but I find it enjoyable when death has to actually go through some kind of challenge to kill everyone with buttons. It becomes a cluster fuck for 10-15 seconds of trying to kill people. Also, people probably just want to give it a try as death.
In conclusion, it's useless.

DeliriouS

Scarcely Lethal
Here's why it should stay the way it is:
  1. Encouraging players to donate. I understand that this is a pretty cheap way of making players donate for those extra few seconds of life to suicide into traps and then respawn, but that adds a reason for them to donate. Donating helps bene continue running the servers and helps him with irl payments. Also, we're not communist. Just because a couple of people can't afford or feel that it's unfair to get a 0.5% advantage, doesn't mean we're going to make it available for everyone. Let's say you're everyday player gets on one of our deathrun servers and finds out that we have a second life mechanic, so they run headfirst into the traps at the beginning hoping to get death to active it and kill him. They use this feature on our servers for some time now, but sometimes they're a second too late and wonder if they can somehow get a few seconds more, and then they hear/see/smell that by donating they get some really awesome perks and oh! You get some extra seconds to get a second life on deathrun! Therefore giving them another reason to donate.
  2. It doesn't give a big advantage. Yes, you caught us, it does shamelessly give you an advantage, but it's not like a player can bhop half across the map, die, and then respawns to finish. Depending on the map on whether how many traps you can skip before your 10 seconds are up can vary, but I'm going to average the distance between traps. (Warning: This is very nerdy and need basic understanding on how Hammer Editor works. Also "hu" means hammer units). Let's say the distance between red's spawn and the first trap is 576hu and it takes 2.5 seconds to reach the first trap. The distance between all traps from one another is 384hu and takes 2 seconds to reach them. If death doesn't activate the traps on you and your speed is 107%, you will be able to pass 4 - 6 traps before 10 seconds is up. You have 5 extra seconds as a donor which will mean you will be able to pass 5 - 7 traps before 15 seconds is up. I've tested, but only on one deathrun map (supermario64). Now, I understand that some deathrun maps have an unnecessary delay before players are able to leave spawn. Sometimes it's a 3-second delay, and sometimes it's a 10-second delay. Why some map makers do this is out of this world. I also understand that the distance between traps can also vary. Again, sometimes the traps are closer and sometimes they're spread out from one another by a lot. I only estimated the average and reasonable distances, but it goes to show that on an average deathrun map, hypothetically speaking, having a few extra seconds doesn't give you a major advantage.
  3. It should be easier and more common for reds to reach the end. Even if you do get a "major advantage" by having death waste traps on donors, that's good! What's the most entertaining part of deathrun? The mini-games at the end! Since donors are having death waste traps on them farther away then what normal players are able to reach, then you have a higher chance of being able to play them sweet mini-games; However, someone could hate the server and choose "win game" instead. You can say "If people do love mini-games so much, why doesn't death always give freerun?" I can't speak for all of the cool players on deathrun, but I find it enjoyable when death has to actually go through some kind of challenge to kill everyone with buttons. It becomes a cluster fuck for 10-15 seconds of trying to kill people. Also, people probably just want to give it a try as death.
In conclusion, it's useless.

"Even if you do get a "major advantage" by having death waste traps on donors, that's good! What's the most entertaining part of deathrun? The mini-games at the end! Since donors are having death waste traps on them farther away then what normal players are able to reach, then you have a higher chance of being able to play them sweet mini-games "

I don't agree with you, neither does most DR players.
We have professional DR players, not to mention me (i genuinely think i'm good, i'm not egoistic or anything :p + a lot of people watches me and finds
me professional at this game). We ENJOY our 10 seconds SocondLife-Rule, and it would be really unfair to just have some "cowardly" players that can skip even more traps then us and revive. This advantage is unnecessary, and is really unneeded, but the total opposite - it would be a favor for most players to remove it and forget about it :I. NO, minigames aren't the only things we care about. all we care about is passing the Death in a very smart
and sexy way. DR is apparently not perfect as i thought it was.. not with this foolish advantage.

i didn't get all that nerdy shit in NB.2, but i would agree at some point the NB.1 *encourages players to donate* (and, also be cowardly unprofessional)

No offense on all that "bragging", but seriously, this is REALLY unneeded. Please, snap your thanos fingers and make it disappear :I

Alex.bsp

Professional Nap Taker
Staff Member
Admin
Mapper
I don't agree with you, neither does most DR players.
The way you typed this makes it sound as if it's a large number of players that disagree with only me in particular. I highly doubt that it is a large amount, but if there's some kind of secret organization of these "professional" DR players, I will like to be proven wrong.

We have professional DR players
Almost 4 years of playing deathrun and I've never heard anyone use that as a way to support their argument over any deathrun related debate. You are good at deathrun, you are not a highly skilled professional who grinds 24/7. Also, you talk as if deathrun is some kind of skilled game mode that requires 201 IQ to play. News flash, it isn't.

"cowardly" players | (and, also be cowardly unprofessional)
Someone has donor equals a coward player? What? Just because they donate to the server means they are a coward to you? Again, there is no reason for them to be some kind of "professional" at deathrun. Most people don't even donate for only that lol. Yes, it could be 1 of 100 reasons they're donating, but it's frequently never the main one. That is just rude.

players that can skip even more traps then us and revive.
They skip like 1 additional trap, they go back to the beginning when they die, and if you are a "professional" deathrun player, you should know that you can activate the first and second traps to mass kill a lot of players and in some cases, waste their time on the first trap. Usually, by the time the first and second trap is over, donors have just a few extra seconds left and could have death waste another trap, but even then it's uncommon to see that happen.

NO, minigames aren't the only things we care about.
It should be the only thing you should care about when playing deathrun as red.

all we care about is passing the Death in a very smart and sexy way.
Nothing is hard, nor smart about jumping forwards then backward to have death activate a trap. Yes, I know, that's not the only way to trick him or get around traps, but how is tricking him or doing some kind of parkour that being very smart? Also, what do you mean "passing death in a sexy way?" Unless you are bhopping backward, then there is nothing sexy about winning a game of deathrun.

DR is apparently not perfect as i thought it was.. not with this foolish advantage.
No, it's not. No deathrun server is the perfect server and this "advantage" is not foolish. Matter of fact, this donor advantage is also giving YOU an advantage! By having donors waste their second life on the next trap that could be impossible for a normal player to reach in time, helps YOU out as a red.

i didn't get all that nerdy shit in NB.2
It's actual data I've collected by messing around on deathrun and Hammer Editor that proves that the advantage it gives you as a donor, isn't even significant. Most times, it's even useless since it's rare to see donors reach another trap that no other normal player would be able to reach normally.

No offense on all that "bragging"
Let me brag a little myself. I've been playing deathrun for almost 4 years now (2 years on FF's deathrun servers and 2 more years on Blackwonders servers), I've tested and edited deathrun maps, and I am a very professional deathrun player myself (If you know what I mean).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That's all I have to say for now. Thank you @Jim & @2010wolf | Blw.tf for the feedback from my last post.
You can also dislike this one too, Yelo.
<3

DeliriouS

Scarcely Lethal
Look, all i want from you is to understand that this advantage isn't needed, better not even be a thing.
Simply the fact that donators have an advantage, a minor OR a major one, it's unfair.
and NO, it's not a major advantage, but don't act like it's a minor one either, because it isn't.

"Someone has donor equals a coward player? What? Just because they donate to the server means they are a coward to you? Again, there is no reason for them to be some kind of "professional" at deathrun. Most people don't even donate for only that lol. Yes, it could be 1 of 100 reasons they're donating, but it's frequently never the main one. That is just rude."

You misunderstood by what i meant - but i'm sorry, i was a little frustrated and so i said a few meaningless words.
But what I atleast BELIEVE that i meant, is that, as i said like 5 times in this thread, and what i believe @Yelo Chey said before,
is this stupid, unreasonable advantage Donors have over other players - May i just say, again, it's just stupid.

"Almost 4 years of playing deathrun and I've never heard anyone use that as a way to support their argument over any deathrun related debate. You are good at deathrun, you are not a highly skilled professional who grinds 24/7. Also, you talk as if deathrun is some kind of skilled game mode that requires 201 IQ to play. News flash, it isn't."

You misunderstood me again - or maybe my statement wasn't clear - i wasn't using this phrase as a SUPPORT to this argument. NO, i'm not a highly skilled professional who grinds 24/7, but you need to respect the fact that the game is still serious - think of it as a football training, you're not on
the pitch, but you are still taking it a bit serious - it's the same thing, the point of all of this is to have fun, but there's just a few quote on quote "competition" going on there.

"Minigames should be the only thing you should care about when playing deathrun as red."

LOL, what?? at this point I'm starting to think you're lying about your "4 years of deathrun gameplay".
Minigames are not the only thing we care about. I am not representing the head of the players, but after playing so much, I don't they don't actually
give any flying f- about the minigames, atleast in cases where the death didn't give us a freerun, which i will agree with you if you said that in freeruns, Minigames should be "the only thing you should care about when playing deathrun as red" - Might not be an appropriate metaphor but :
Minigames are just like a snack after a meal, not the meal itself.

"No, it's not. No deathrun server is the perfect server and this "advantage" is not foolish."

At this point, it's just preference. i'd say YES, a deathrun server could be perfect. I might have exaggerated there, our deathrun server IS perfect, if not
atleast well-done, but i see no reason to find this advantage applicable for the game - no reason to be.

This is the last thing i say in this argument - I'm not interested in any conversations between you and me, since it'll most likely full of unneeded NONSENSE, so let's just make this poll happen.

Last edited:

Alex.bsp

Professional Nap Taker
Staff Member
Admin
Mapper
it's not a major advantage, but don't act like it's a minor one either, because it isn't.
It's a minor advantage.

i wasn't using this phrase as a SUPPORT to this argument.
Yes, you were.

Minigames are not the only thing we care about. I am not representing the head of the players, but after playing so much, I don't they don't actually
give any flying f- about the minigames, atleast in cases where the death didn't give us a freerun, which i will agree with you if you said that in freeruns, Minigames should be "the only thing you should care about when playing deathrun as red" - Might not be an appropriate metaphor but :
Minigames are just like a snack after a meal, not the meal itself.
Here is where I can say: "I am wrong, you are right." As a dr player, a lot of other things factor in the fun of deathrun. Yes, I agree, mini-games isn't the only thing a person should care about and in my sentence I say it as if it was fact and if it was the only main part of deathrun. I'm sorry. Most things that also make deathrun fun and enjoyable to play is: The theme of the map, how difficult the gameplay is, the jokes that are usually hidden in traps, and etc.

This is the last thing i say in this argument - I'm not interested in any conversations between you and me, since it'll most likely full of unneeded NONSENSE, so let's just make this poll happen.
This will be my last response to you as well. For future reference, please present your own evidence of this "advantage."

2010wolf | Blw.tf

Wooh, Sick airshot duuuuude!
Staff Member
Admin
Mapper
Look, all i want from you is to understand that this advantage isn't needed, better not even be a thing.

Since you think this "advantage" is "not needed", it's just as not giving your opinion at all.
If anything you'd better make it seem like you're complaining about it, and represent it as an issue, rather than "not needed".
Because guess what? if it's "not needed" then it doesn't matter if it's still there or not... right?

That's basically what I understood from the way you worded this.

Simply the fact that donators have an advantage, a minor OR a major one, it's unfair.
and NO, it's not a major advantage, but don't act like it's a minor one either, because it isn't.

I honestly bet you'd still cry a river if the advantage was 1 extra second rather than 5 seconds...
And with the context of my previous point, it just seems like you're nitpicking at things that don't really matter that much.

I'd say it's obvious 1 seconds is still an advantage... but honestly who gives a shit?
Sure, that extra 1 seconds is so insignificant that it might as well not be there as it's "Not needed",
but then again... what if it's still there? ..... what are you ""Complaining"" about?
Because for me, from what I understood it doesn't seem like you're complaining... it doesn't seem like this is a significant issue for you, hence you title it as "not needed" instead of "must be removed".

(And yes, I actually searched for the word "removed/remove" and i only found ONE result...
Meanwhile I found "uneeded/not needed" about 4 times)

Now don't get me wrong, I SEE that the poll's title is "Remove Donor's advantage to have a few seconds longer of second life in deathrun?"
Though.... surprisingly you only used that word ONCE in all of your posts whilst arguing about how this advantage should be... "Removed"

I'm just saying... I don't really see that you have much of a valid point to this whole argument...

Benedevil

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Owner
Developer
The advantage is so minuscule. There are a few perks that could be argued about, but at the end of the day I need some reason for people to donate.

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Top Bottom