Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Closed Crits on Jailbreak. (Yup, THAT topic again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowboy

Spectacularly Lethal

Cowboy

Howdy Y'all, been a while since I've posted directly in the forums but i figured i'd give it a shot since this subject has been a hot topic on discord.

The opinions regarding the current state of crits and the health of the server has been discussed within the discord a few times now so i'd like to turn this thread into an opportunity for members to voice their opinion regarding this manner.

The Current Situation
Due to the current situation regarding Jailbreak's population drastically dwindling for the last couple of months, there's been some talk about some of the causes. Several members have claimed that it's due to the current season, while some have pointed towards the existence of crits and the lack of "counterplay" when it comes to them.

Now, what do you think? Is it time to experiment with potential changes? Or is the solution is to remain the same?

Feel free to voice your opinions in the discussion below,

And please, try to be civil.

10k please let me post ferrets in #general.

Cammy

Legendary

Cammy

I'd say it's because people have played it so much they're losing interest. It happened in Panda while I was there.
There's not enough new people taking an interest. If it were crits, the servers would've been abandoned long ago.
The alternate reason would be all the 'fun' players being slowly permabanned away from BLU or from the community as a whole as they cannot follow the rules, and taking their established friend groups with them to whatever community they decide to terrorise next.

Tax Fraud

The Monkey King
Staff Member
We already tried a server with no crits. It failed to gain any traction and it was shut down. The current lack of players on jailbreak has nothing to do with the state of balance or plugins.

Hyped

Rage Inducing
HI THERE I MIGHT HAVE SOME VIEWS TO SHARE.

Obviously the servers are dead and only active at certain hours compared to pretty much any community out there. The current crit changes are a temporary one month testing thing. Whenever I have personally visited the server the majority of people like the changes. Others can back me on that and it totally makes sense considering it benefits the majority of players (reds).
We already tried a server with no crits. It failed to gain any traction and it was shut down. The current lack of players on jailbreak has nothing to do with the state of balance or plugins.
Rinsing the same arguments don't help your point especially if they're so weak as hell. The main reason why those servers died are because they were independent servers rather than actual changes to pre-existing ones, that's not a good reason to not make change.

"No one will play blue"
People probably wont touch blue with a 10 foot pole because of the report system being abused.

Change is overall a good thing and while relying on the incoming player wave it would be really cool to capitalise on it, crits aren't the only thing off-putting compared to other communities so lets continue to make change rather than be stubborn on year old systems.

10000 Cold Knights

Sentinel
Staff Member
Admin
People probably wont touch blue with a 10 foot pole because of the report system being abused.
Guess you hung out with those Aussies so long you started believing their hippie BS, huh?
10k please let me post ferrets in #general.
No ;p
I'd say it's because people have played it so much they're losing interest. It happened in Panda while I was there.
There's not enough new people taking an interest. If it were crits, the servers would've been abandoned long ago.
The alternate reason would be all the 'fun' players being slowly permabanned away from BLU or from the community as a whole as they cannot follow the rules, and taking their established friend groups with them to whatever community they decide to terrorise next.
Preach it brother.
Have you guys considered that Jailbreak might just suck
Still better than UU at least ;p
Yes indeedy, 1.5x damage is only slightly better than what was previously implemented, and that system went dead after the hype went down. I suspect the only reason the same thing hasn't happened here is because US was the most popular JB server before the change.

Hyped

Rage Inducing

Cowboy

Spectacularly Lethal

Cowboy

Guess you hung out with those Aussies so long you started believing their hippie BS, huh?
While im not a fan of the AUS JB community as a whole, I think this is a short sighted comment when you have bene himself investigating reports and finding most of them not worthy of punishment. It's not just the Aussies who have a problem with the system, it's a large amount of the Jailbreak community in general who have problems with how reports are handled.

ss+(2021-03-15+at+06.02.00).png
ss+(2021-03-15+at+05.58.53).png

while this may be unrelated to the threads topic, i felt this should be addressed.

Tax Fraud

The Monkey King
Staff Member
HI THERE I MIGHT HAVE SOME VIEWS TO SHARE.

Obviously the servers are dead and only active at certain hours compared to pretty much any community out there. The current crit changes are a temporary one month testing thing. Whenever I have personally visited the server the majority of people like the changes. Others can back me on that and it totally makes sense considering it benefits the majority of players (reds).

Rinsing the same arguments don't help your point especially if they're so weak as hell. The main reason why those servers died are because they were independent servers rather than actual changes to pre-existing ones, that's not a good reason to not make change.

"No one will play blue"

Change is overall a good thing and while relying on the incoming player wave it would be really cool to capitalise on it, crits aren't the only thing off-putting compared to other communities so lets continue to make change rather than be stubborn on year old systems.
We set up an independent server because popularity for Crits versus No Crits was evenly split. Changing the main server in order to appease half the community wouldn't be healthy. People who aren't active on forums wouldn't know why it was changed. A no crit server was supposed to be an experiment anyway, which failed. Your blanket, "Change is a good thing" statement doesn't apply when a large portion of the community voices its disapproval of removing crits. Time and time again "Removing Crits on JB" threads have been made and the votes swung in keeping crits favor.

Cowboy

Spectacularly Lethal

Cowboy

So I do want to make something entirely clear.

I do not want a poll or any definitive decisions to derive from this thread. This was not the meaning behind this thread, otherwise i would've posted it under Suggestions.

I for one am in support of crits remaining on the server and i have no plans on taking the side of the removal.

However, I believed that this thread could be a productive space to lay out our entire opinions with one another rather than the usual shouting match on discord.

10000 Cold Knights

Sentinel
Staff Member
Admin
While im not a fan of the AUS JB community as a whole, I think this is a short sighted comment when you have bene himself investigating reports and finding most of them not worthy of punishment. It's not just the Aussies who have a problem with the system, it's a large amount of the Jailbreak community in general who have problems with how reports are handled.

View attachment 24886View attachment 24887

while this may be unrelated to the threads topic, i felt this should be addressed.
My comment may have been a bit harsh, I apologize. To elaborate without writing an essay on the issue, Hyped's position on reports is not management's position, Hyped knows the problems I have with his position, and I will not tolerate baseless slander directed at either reporters or the staff members who handle them, due to the actions of one individual.
That will be all, no need to derail the topic.

RainbowRobb

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Manager
Admin

View attachment 24886View attachment 24887

1. It is a shame Bene posted this in public, it is more complicated than that. His involvement is due to a falling player count, not because he is concerned that particular players weren't punished the way some would prefer.

2. A few days ago, I spent a hour on US JB where a bunch of aussies were playing, I believe you were there. Kat went warden, and people just began shouting on mic, over them. Even louder than usual, making it impossible for a round to happen. I typically wait before punishing anyone, and I ended up teambanning someone for being unwilling to be warden. When I teambanned them, the server errupted in "fucking mods" this and that. Another wave, a previously toxic player was on a blue and pressed a button a sweeper that killed half of red. I teambanned that blue and over the mic someone said they wanted to "hunt me down and slit my throat", this was followed my similar comments. Now, I am 33 with extremely thick skin; however, many of the staff are half my age, or younger. The staff should not have to deal with such behavior, they are volunteers. The problem is not that the majority of the punishments were unjust. It is that we do not often have multiple confident (not incompetent) staff on jb at the same time. I actually commented in our admin chat about it while I was on:
1615859012093.png

"A large amount of the Jailbreak community" have no intention of following any rules and are just there to shitpost on mic and troll the servers.

That being said, solutions are being actively discussed.

Cammy

Legendary

Cammy

A bad idea that would work if everyone agreed to stick with it: Make a schedule based around the active hours of each JB server to ensure that *someone* is available at any time during those active hours to respond to reqhelps/calladmins, or be in the server directly for a set duration before swapping out with another.

Obviously this wouldn't work as everyone has IRL things, and anything could happen at any time, but it's nice to believe it would be possible.

RainbowRobb

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Manager
Admin
A bad idea that would work if everyone agreed to stick with it: Make a schedule based around the active hours of each JB server to ensure that *someone* is available at any time during those active hours to respond to reqhelps/calladmins, or be in the server directly for a set duration before swapping out with another.

Obviously this wouldn't work as everyone has IRL things, and anything could happen at any time, but it's nice to believe it would be possible.
Blackwonder was fortunate for several years. There happened to be a group of well-intentioned players who kept the servers operating, but they have moved on from tf2, and now we have to figure out how to correct it.

crikey

Legendary
Staff Member

crikey

Yeah no. I've been around in a server that ran like this mandating that someone had to be available at all time. All it caused was a load of stress as staff felt forced to do it in fear of getting demoted.

Hyped

Rage Inducing
People who aren't active on forums wouldn't know why it was changed. A no crit server was supposed to be an experiment anyway, which failed. Your blanket, "Change is a good thing" statement doesn't apply when a large portion of the community voices its disapproval of removing crits.
Dumb old polls representing an old player base are dumb and most people don’t even use the forums
People who don’t even play jailbreak anymore would take up a significant amount of the votes so that’s such a silly point to make. Why wouldn’t a change benefitting the MAJORITY of people be favoured by the majority?
basically polls aren’t a valid way of looking at a player base since it does not give an accurate picture of the servers wants.
I think Robbs right, back then we used to still have rulebreakers but we also had people who genuinely just wanted to play jailbreak but that doesn’t mean the some of the systems in place shouldn’t be changed.

Cowboy

Spectacularly Lethal

Cowboy

1. It is a shame Bene posted this in public, it is more complicated than that. His involvement is due to a falling player count, not because he is concerned that particular players weren't punished the way some would prefer.

2. A few days ago, I spent a hour on US JB where a bunch of aussies were playing, I believe you were there. Kat went warden, and people just began shouting on mic, over them. Even louder than usual, making it impossible for a round to happen. I typically wait before punishing anyone, and I ended up teambanning someone for being unwilling to be warden. When I teambanned them, the server errupted in "fucking mods" this and that. Another wave, a previously toxic player was on a blue and pressed a button a sweeper that killed half of red. I teambanned that blue and over the mic someone said they wanted to "hunt me down and slit my throat", this was followed my similar comments. Now, I am 33 with extremely thick skin; however, many of the staff are half my age, or younger. The staff should not have to deal with such behavior, they are volunteers. The problem is not that the majority of the punishments were unjust. It is that we do not often have multiple confident (not incompetent) staff on jb at the same time. I actually commented in our admin chat about it while I was on:View attachment 24889

"A large amount of the Jailbreak community" have no intention of following any rules and are just there to shitpost on mic and troll the servers.

That being said, solutions are being actively discussed.
So firstly, I'd like to apologize for jumping to conclusions on the topic regarding the reports, I realize that this probably was desired to be a topic discussed among staff. However, I did appreciate Bene's transparency and it really excites me that you guys are actually not abandoning the gamemode and the servers by attempting to investigate problems and improve the server as a result. I actually would love if you guys communicated more with the JB community and help us get involved somehow in repopulating the servers. I know several regulars who would be willing to squat on the server in order to improve traction. Any way we can help as a community, we should be ready to do so.

As far as the behavior on the server, I am so used to the overall toxicity of the server that i just cope with it the best i can, I'm sorry that your experience was unsavory, I think Jailbreak can be a special experience with the right people on the server.

I think adopting this strategy would pressure BLW to accept more JB staff applications which is a scary process since it's the hardest server to moderate and needs to have a pretty strong vetting system so we don't have to deal with staff who might not be ready for the position they were accepted into.

Hyped

Rage Inducing
I think adopting this strategy would pressure BLW to accept more JB staff applications which is a scary process since it's the hardest server to moderate
there are loads of JB staff that simply dont even do anything, 10K, Ze De Pao and Robb are the only members of staff I ever see on servers/ handle reports, so while a schedule is a bad idea, in general staff should be more active.

RainbowRobb

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Manager
Admin
there are loads of JB staff that simply dont even do anything, 10K, Ze De Pao and Robb are the only members of staff I ever see on servers/ handle reports, so while a schedule is a bad idea, in general staff should be more active.
The majority of the staff are active. Just because they are not doing reports, does not mean they aren't helping on one of the 300 servers.

Also, this is not a job. Stating they should be more active is implying there is an expectation when one can't exist. It's really just jb. We have fairly consistent coverage for the other servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 8)

Top Bottom