Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

A small game I made

Benedevil

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Owner
Developer
So yeah,
a lot of you know that for my second "group project" phase in my university I had to code a small little game.
Reason I'm putting group project in quotation is because I ended up coding the entire thing myself.
The game itself probably still has a couple of bugs and could use some polishing, but it doesn't really matter to me at this point, since it's a shitty game anyway to be honest.
So yeah, some people asked me to release this mess consisting of probably 5000 lines of code.
So here it is:

https://blackwonder.tf/games/VerteX.exe

I present to you VerteX.

What's the goal of the game?
Well, there is a very popular problem out there which is about graph coloring.

A graph is something that looks like this:

hexa.png

Now, the circles you can see will not have any color at the beginning of the game.
Your goal is it to color this graph with the least number of colors possible.

The only rule is: no two dots that are connected, can have the same color and the program will not let you color a so called vertex if it is connected to a vertex with the same color.

Yeah, fun.... not

The game will automatically go to a score screen once you have used the least amount of colors possible (So called chromatic number).

I don't know why the menu sounds aren't working, but there wasn't much to hear anyway as there is not even menu music

Controls:
When the color menu is expanded, you can press P to add more colors instead of pressing the plus all the time.

You can move around with the arrow keys.

Additionally you can drag the nodes, by clicking and dragging.

Here are some screenshots for you who don't want to test it:

ss+(2016-12-15+at+03.14.47).png

ss+(2016-12-15+at+03.15.36).png
ss+(2016-12-15+at+03.17.11).png

Some final words:

It was a very nice experience to code this. I had a lot of fun doing so and it taught me a lot of new things. Though the only issue I had is that it could have been so much more. You open the game and you expect some really nice indie platformer or something like that, but are then presented with a very boring game in my opinion.

The game is also pretty poorly optimized due to the time constrain I had and since I worked on it alone even though it was meant to be a group effort. Oh well... Hope someone still manages to get at least 2 minutes of fun out of this :D

Last edited:

Bassianus

Retired Pun-Making Skeleton
Woah, never mind the simple nature of this, its awesome that ya actually made a game!
Also, as Buster said:
Hope the others in your group won't be rewarded for this...
I've been in too many groups where I was the one doing ALL the work with the least payout, so I do hope ya get the most credit.
Good job mind ya! Hope ya continue and improve (if you want too).

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Top Bottom