Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Declined Training Servers Called "Humble Beginnings"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oxi-moron

Truly Feared
So I had this idea where it's a few pros who want to help new players and it rotates simple jump maps and stock maps and the pros give advice and suggestions to help noobs, newbies, and f2ps

Timo

I watch you sleep c:
Staff Member
Admin
Who are these so called "pros"? Some hardcore esports players?

The only outcome I see is these "advanced" players insult the "noobs" for being better than them. Or they are just as new as their "trainees".

As of right now I don't see how this would work out in any way &I highly doubt players would go there to get advice.

YouTube And MGE servers exist these days.

Oxi-moron

Truly Feared
Who are these so called "pros"? Some hardcore esports players?

The only outcome I see is these "advanced" players insult the "noobs" for being better than them. Or they are just as new as their "trainees".

As of right now I don't see how this would work out in any way &I highly doubt players would go there to get advice.

YouTube And MGE servers exist these days.
My point is for these servers is a friendly place to start on tf2 and be a safe place to start out equaling in a win/win/: noobs get trained, their are less f2ps, and tf2 doesn't die

Timo

I watch you sleep c:
Staff Member
Admin
That doesn't answer my question.
Everyone wants TF2 to be friendly. You can't just say "Hey this server is for f2ps and pros to help each other out. It's a friendly place!"
Cus that would be a blatant lie as TF2 has a toxic community. How do you control that?
Otherwise it would be like a normal rotation server.

Oxi-moron

Truly Feared
That doesn't answer my question.
Everyone wants TF2 to be friendly. You can't just say "Hey this server is for f2ps and pros to help each other out. It's a friendly place!"
Cus that would be a blatant lie as TF2 has a toxic community. How do you control that?
Otherwise it would be like a normal rotation server.
Three simple factors:
1. Make rules to only help and not harm, if rules are not followed then ban the unhelpful players from these certain servers
2. Make a role for these users like admin but give unexploitable and helpful abilities for this certain role
3. Make this role applicable so users can't simply be given the role just to be unhelpful and worthless to the server

Timo

I watch you sleep c:
Staff Member
Admin
What kind of "unexploitable" abilities are there that the normal user can't use?

Also the lack of players will make this idea to nothing. I can guarantee that.
As f2ps either don't want to improve that way, can't even communicate properly, or pros just abuse it as achievement server. I don't see how this will work with this community.

Wanka

Head Mod
Staff Member
Admin

spoi

I'm too tired to give a thorough explanation but the idea is fucking stupid.
New players can't listen for shit, experienced players likely don't want to help out new players as it's a stressful waste of time and if people want to learn how to do a specific thing (i.e. rocket jumping or how to play the damn game), just practice on an actual Jump server or watch YouTube videos and demos.
2/10 idea at best. Good intentions but any attempt at executing it will be met with failure, I can assure you.

Oxi-moron

Truly Feared
What kind of "unexploitable" abilities are there that the normal user can't use?
Also the lack of players will make this idea to nothing. I can guarantee that.
As f2ps either don't want to improve that way, can't even communicate properly, or pros just abuse it as achievement server. I don't see how this will work with this community.
Things like viewing others screens, healing others and allowing instant respawn, etc. That's also why I recommended a applicable role that when approved allows access to these servers as the role and access to server commands
I'm too tired to give a thorough explanation but the idea is fucking stupid.
New players can't listen for shit, experienced players likely don't want to help out new players as it's a stressful waste of time and if people want to learn how to do a specific thing (i.e. rocket jumping or how to play the damn game), just practice on an actual Jump server or watch YouTube videos and demos.
2/10 idea at best. Good intentions but any attempt at executing it will be met with failure, I can assure you.
I feel like that was irrationally harsh as while it sounds stupid in general, I have met people who want to help f2ps and have heard of similar ideas of this same thing but not being executed in my vision.
yes their is I was just using the jump map as an example as to what kinds of maps would be accessible.

FishCrimes

The King of Fish
Staff Member
Manager
Admin
Things like viewing others screens, healing others and allowing instant respawn, etc. That's also why I recommended a applicable role that when approved allows access to these servers as the role and access to server commands

I feel like that was irrationally harsh as while it sounds stupid in general, I have met people who want to help f2ps and have heard of similar ideas of this same thing but not being executed in my vision.

yes their is I was just using the jump map as an example as to what kinds of maps would be accessible.
Right, but what would be the point of mimicking something that already exists? I understand it's alright in some scenarios, but I don't believe it is appropriate here; as far as I'm aware, Jump Academy already has dedicated staff to teach newer jumpers. Wouldn't we need to accumulate more staff? Why would people switch to our (hypothetical) jump teacher-student like servers when Jump Academy has been around for years?

Oxi-moron

Truly Feared
Right, but what would be the point of mimicking something that already exists? I understand it's alright in some scenarios, but I don't believe it is appropriate here; as far as I'm aware, Jump Academy already has dedicated staff to teach newer jumpers. Wouldn't we need to accumulate more staff? Why would people switch to our (hypothetical) jump teacher-student like servers when Jump Academy has been around for years?
Your seeing this as the main focus but alas it is only one of the main focuses, not only would we feature tutorials on jumping but also on better aim, using maps to your advantage, how to counter properly, etc.

FishCrimes

The King of Fish
Staff Member
Manager
Admin
Your seeing this as the main focus but alas it is only one of the main focuses, not only would we feature tutorials on jumping but also on better aim, using maps to your advantage, how to counter properly, etc.
"So I had this idea where it's a few pros who want to help new players and it rotates simple jump maps and stock maps and the pros give advice and suggestions to help noobs, newbies, and f2ps"

I really don't think it's fair to blame me for missing the other "main focuses" when you only gave us one sentence to work with, but fine. Where would we find these "pros" to teach the newer players? I don't personally know any TF2 professional players and I would imagine they wouldn't volunteer their time for free (unless a professional player decides to apply for admin or one of our current staff becomes a pro at TF2). As for F2Ps, the vast majority of players who connect to our servers aren't newer players; would would we reach our target audience? Newer players tend to play on VALVe official servers.

Wanka

Head Mod
Staff Member
Admin

spoi

but also on better aim, using maps to your advantage, how to counter properly, etc.
YouTube-logo-full_color.png

Also actually playing the game and learning but whatever.​

Oxi-moron

Truly Feared
"So I had this idea where it's a few pros who want to help new players and it rotates simple jump maps and stock maps and the pros give advice and suggestions to help noobs, newbies, and f2ps"

I really don't think it's fair to blame me for missing the other "main focuses" when you only gave us one sentence to work with, but fine. Where would we find these "pros" to teach the newer players? I don't personally know any TF2 professional players and I would imagine they wouldn't volunteer their time for free (unless a professional player decides to apply for admin or one of our current staff becomes a pro at TF2). As for F2Ps, the vast majority of players who connect to our servers aren't newer players; would would we reach our target audience? Newer players tend to play on VALVe official servers.
well not all members here at blackwonder are new and the ones that are new aren't that good, I even tend to laugh at them at times but I still give them advice. Like I've been saying make an applicable role for those who wanna sign up to help. I get not all the pros would sign up for this but I can vision that someone even non staff related would be willing to help

Oxi-moron

Truly Feared
YouTube-logo-full_color.png

Also actually playing the game and learning but whatever.​

"Also actually playing the game and learning but whatever" In the future if this is an accepted idea and does go through, I can guarantee that people will reference the training servers and use them to help teach new players. Also yes youtube is a very valuable source for learning but what happens when you starting out on tf2 and you don't know what to do? a simple video can't teach you everything in tf2 and yet the training maps can't teach you everything as well but woven together they can be used as a powerful tool to make someone better at the game and hopefully not scare off the future of tf2

「Bread」

Uncharitable
99% of f2ps are 7 year old kids who don't know how to even find such servers or even listen to what their team members are saying.

Oxi-moron

Truly Feared
99% of f2ps are 7 year old kids who don't know how to even find such servers or even listen to what their team members are saying.
And 99% of those players are the future of tf2 that we desperately need in order for tf2 to not die. Face it, this maybe a terrible idea but it does revolve around a good premise (sorry if I sound confusing I've been awake for two days now)

Buster

Who you gonna call?!
Staff Member
Admin

Corvin

Snooze
So, who would do this again? Who are the pros?
Who has time to sit on an empty server and wait for a f2p that 1.: Understands English 2.: Cares about this whole thing and would listen to you

Until you actually know a group of people who are really motivated to teach f2ps, this is just a bad idea. And even if you knew a group of "pros" who would gladly do this, the server would still fail because the majority of the joining f2ps wouldn't meet the 2 criteria.

We don't live in a utopia. I'd love if there was a successful server / community that would teach new players. But it ain't going to happen.

Last edited:

DC Chroma

Sufficiently Lethal
I have to be honest, I'll volunteer to be a teacher. Cause I enjoy learning and teaching others about the game that I honestly enjoyed and played the hell out of. There are more to why I want to but that's not important right now.

Last edited:

Oxi-moron

Truly Feared
So, who would do this again? Who are the pros?
Who has time to sit on an empty server and wait for a f2p that 1.: Understands English 2.: Cares about this whole thing and would listen to you

Until you actually know a group of people who are really motivated to teach f2ps, this is just a bad idea. And even if you knew a group of "pros" who would gladly do this, the server would still fail because the majority of the joining f2ps wouldn't meet the 2 criteria.

We don't live in a utopia. I'd love if there was a successful server / community that would teach new players. But it ain't going to happen.

I have to be honest, I'll volunteer to be a teacher. Cause I enjoy learning and teaching others about the game that I honestly enjoyed and played the hell out of. There are more to why I want to but that's not important right now.
Looks like we have pros signing up before the idea is even approved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Top Bottom