Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TF2 Guide on How to Spy

Jim

Cutiepie.tf
Staff Member
Admin
If you're reading this it's because you want to learn how to be a good spy player (like me :D). This guide will cover basically everything I know about spy from weapons to tactics to certain map strategies.

I will be working on this over a period of time and since writing this in one sitting would take upwards of a few hours, I hope you understand. I will be working on different sections at different points so meaning i'm gonna get some general knowledge in most areas before I go into super detail.

Weaponry

The Revolver

The Revolver is a spy's primary weapon and only ranged form of combat. Without your revolver you are threatened by anyone who can see you but this isn't always an issue. The spy has a total of 5 different revolver's excluding a variety of reskins for the stock one. Each revolver has it's own pros and cons and your choice depends on both your play style and what game mode you're playing.

Stock
upload_2017-1-4_11-16-23.jpeg
revoler1stperson.PNG

The stock revolver is the easiest revolver to use especially if you're a beginner. With the second highest damage per minute (rivaled only by the ambassador with headshots) it can kill most classes in a few hits. Here's the damage table for the revolver showing how hard you'll hit at what ranges. Unfortunately the stock revolver suffers from severe damage drop off at long and even mid range. Unlike all the other revolvers except for the L'etranger, the stock revolver can score random crits which DO NOT lose damage over range but do not rely on this because not only are random crits rare but most non-valve servers have them disabled for balance purposes.
revolver damage.PNG

Overall the stock revolver is always a good weapon of choice. At close range you can usually brawl with weaker classes and you almost always have the element of surprise on your side.

The Ambassador

The Amby is the gun everyone wants to use to look like a pro. With the ability to headshot you can pour out hundreds of damage in just a few shots if your aim is true. The ambassador has its pros and cons just like every other weapon but most people agree that the amby has more pros than cons.

Pros
- Most accurate of the revolvers when fired out of succession
- Headshots deal crits for 102 damage (changes on certain enemies like powerjack pyro or steel fists heavy)
-Can kill weaker classes like scouts and engineers with a one headshot and a quick bodyshot follow up
- Landing a headshot can often scare off pursuing enemies

Cons
- 15% overall damage reduction
- Has a short cooldown between shots where you can still shoot but it's very inaccurate and won't headshot
- Fires 20% slower
- Can NOT score random critical hits

To be continued :)

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-4_11-14-25.jpeg
    upload_2017-1-4_11-14-25.jpeg
    3.4 KB · Views: 753
  • upload_2017-1-4_11-14-34.jpeg
    upload_2017-1-4_11-14-34.jpeg
    3.4 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:

Sgt. X

Somewhat Threatening

InFocus

Mostly new players who just found the Ambassador use it and found out it can headshot so they act like they are good with it and when the finnaly get that first headshot they spam so much stuff in the chat about you getting rekt and all that nonsense, That's why the L'etranger is my personal favorite because it gives you back cloack on a kill and it gives you more cloack (40% i think), so if you combine that with the cloak and dagger it's good for a more passive way to fight and if you use it with the dead ringer then you can play more aggressively and it will give you more time to escape some chokepoints. Ofcourse we have the diamond back wich is good for rewarding you with every kill u get but you need to have good aim to actually land a hit so don't waste all those crits and you need to have better skills in staying alive with it so you don't lose them that way too.

Jim

Cutiepie.tf
Staff Member
Admin
UPDATE

Spy is garbage and only a masochist should play him anymore until the amby and dead ringer are playable weapons again.

Also there is no old rating.

Corrin

Positively Inhumane

Pompous

Jim doesn't mention anything about the DR, I feel sad, mostly, all spies would use that for bhopping away or use that speed to trickstab someone, I feel like you should include it in here Jim, I know it's being updated, but this is just a reminder incase you forget about adding it into the list.

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 9)

Top Bottom