Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Completed Suggestion: add defined rules for the trade servers on the "server rules" part of the forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishCrimes

The King of Fish
Staff Member
Manager
Admin
As you can see here, nearly every type of server has it's own set of defined rules. Trade servers however, are missin' out on the love.

Here are some suggestions:
-No scamming/sharking allowed.
-Spycrabbing/gambling items valued at X (let x be a value Benedevil defines) or higher without the use of a verified middleman/server staff middlemanning is not permitted.
-Any raffles, mass spycrabs, etc. you host must be free to enter.
-Do not beg for items.

EDIT: here's some more rules
-Do not interrupt spycrabs.
-Do not random trade other players.
-Keep trade binds to once per chat cycle.

Last edited:

Steve Harvey Oswald

Blackwonder's Own
What's wrong with an entry fee for raffles?

Sure some people do things out of the kindness of their hearts sometimes, but let's be real here, many a person is going to want many a profit.

What if the rule was modified to say something along the lines of "entry fee must be a maximum of a third the price of the item you are raffling" so you don't get anybody trying to screw people out of their precious metals?

FishCrimes

The King of Fish
Staff Member
Manager
Admin
What's wrong with an entry fee for raffles?

Sure some people do things out of the kindness of their hearts sometimes, but let's be real here, many a person is going to want many a profit.

What if the rule was modified to say something along the lines of "entry fee must be a maximum of a third the price of the item you are raffling" so you don't get anybody trying to screw people out of their precious metals?
Scenario:
"Hey guys! Trade me 1 scrap each to be entered into a raffle for this here hat!"
*Obtains 10 scrap*
"Loser has disconnected."

Imagine something like this happening on a bigger scale, like someone stealing keys from people by """raffling""" an unusual.

Steve Harvey Oswald

Blackwonder's Own
Scenario:
"Hey guys! Trade me 1 scrap each to be entered into a raffle for this here hat!"
*Obtains 10 scrap*
"Loser has disconnected."

Well, when you enter a raffle you have to understand that there is the risk that you may not win and that nothing is guaranteed other than the fact you're gonna be paying that entry fee for a chance at winning a price that is worth more money than you put in.

At the same time, the person doing the raffle would understand that they may not make their money back if three people do not enter.

FishCrimes

The King of Fish
Staff Member
Manager
Admin
Well, when you enter a raffle you have to understand that there is the risk that you may not win and that nothing is guaranteed other than the fact you're gonna be paying that entry fee for a chance at winning a price that is worth more money than you put in.

At the same time, the person doing the raffle would understand that they may not make their money back if three people do not enter.
Perhaps I should have replied like a normal person. I'm sorry.
Scenario: Someone sets up a fake raffle and steals the entry fees, everyone who has entered the """raffle""" has just been scammed.

Steve Harvey Oswald

Blackwonder's Own
Perhaps I should have replied like a normal person. I'm sorry.
Scenario: Someone sets up a fake raffle and steals the entry fees, everyone who has entered the """raffle""" has just been scammed.

Well just like any other trade you'd have to be weary of scammers, and report any scammers not only to Blackwonder but also to Valve so they get properly marked as a scammer.

It may just be a judgement call on this one.

I've never used steamrep before so I don't know whether it's a good idea or not, but what if we used the steamrep plugin to ensure that the raffles would be as safe as possible? At least that way if somebody has a history of scamming they probably wouldn't be getting away with it.

FishCrimes

The King of Fish
Staff Member
Manager
Admin
Well just like any other trade you'd have to be weary of scammers, and report any scammers not only to Blackwonder but also to Valve so they get properly marked as a scammer.

It may just be a judgement call on this one.

I've never used steamrep before so I don't know whether it's a good idea or not, but what if we used the steamrep plugin to ensure that the raffles would be as safe as possible? At least that way if somebody has a history of scamming they probably wouldn't be getting away with it.
The steamrep tool would be useless, someone could create a convincing alt and have a clean SR just like that. I think the ability to host paid raffles should either be not at all permitted or permitted only by users with an extensive rep thread.

Buster

Who you gonna call?!
Staff Member
Admin

Corvin

Snooze
I also think the begging rule should be removed. If someone is constantly begging it can be considered spam which makes the no begging rule useless plus If we add the no begging rule then you have to deal with every little kid who asks for free stuff and the people who will report them constantly for it.

Unless it's spam it's not actually harmful besides the few people who could get slightly annoyed but those who are annoyed can still mute the beggar with !sm.

Everything else seems fine.

P.S.: @Benedevil Please think about making the server rules page a little tiny bit fancier so it's not just a blank page with a boring, plain list. This is a bit weird but everything else on this forum has a lot more color and is a lot more interesting.

Last edited:

Benedevil

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Owner
Developer
P.S.: @Benedevil Please think about making the server rules page a little tiny bit fancier so it's not just a blank page with a boring, plain list. This is a bit weird but everything else on this forum has a lot more color and is a lot more interesting.
Meeh whenever I feel like opening SFM again

DasMalzbier| Lazy Panda

Tfw ab0se is not an allowed title word
Admin
-No scamming/sharking allowed.
Agreed.

-Spycrabbing/gambling items valued at X (let x be a value Benedevil defines) or higher without the use of a verified middleman/server staff middlemanning is not permitted.
Agreed.

-Any raffles, mass spycrabs, etc. you host must be free to enter.
I can see both points, but I disagree with this. As Oswald says, people should be smart enough to know that gambling is not a safe way to earn items. But if that is not good enough for you, I have a suggestion: Any raffle etc. with an item above value x (x is again defined by Benedevil) must include a staff middleman. You may find available admins on Teamspeak, Discord or the Forums.

-Do not beg for items.
I disagree. Even though I can see that it could get annoying really quickly, it should not be forbidden. The amount of reports would be insane. I would either remove it or rephrase it: You may try to get free items, but do not be pushy about it

FishCrimes

The King of Fish
Staff Member
Manager
Admin
Agreed.

Agreed.

I can see both points, but I disagree with this. As Oswald says, people should be smart enough to know that gambling is not a safe way to earn items. But if that is not good enough for you, I have a suggestion: Any raffle etc. with an item above value x (x is again defined by Benedevil) must include a staff middleman. You may find available admins on Teamspeak, Discord or the Forums.

I disagree. Even though I can see that it could get annoying really quickly, it should not be forbidden. The amount of reports would be insane. I would either remove it or rephrase it: You may try to get free items, but do not be pushy about it
Those are all very fair points. Be sure to add that verified middlemen can also be found on the steamrep page which I'll link Bene when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Top Bottom