Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Something really awesome happened. (college)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2010wolf | Blw.tf

Wooh, Sick airshot duuuuude!
Staff Member
Admin
Mapper
So, last week i talked to my english doctor, he told me that it's impossible for you to be a first year and at the same time learning a level 3 english lectures.

He told me that i have to go back and ask somewhere in the university about my ""Actual"" english level, because he told me that some people had to redo the whole year just because of this mistake.

I went ahead and asked 4 days later about my ""Actual"" english level, i was told that i got in the entrance exam an 18/20 in the english part, as well as i was told that since that my score was 18 that meant that i really am a level 3 :D

Which made me unbelievably happy, because when i become a third year student, my schedule will be lighter, since i won't have english in my schedule, which is just so fucking useful.
That is of course if i didn't fail any of the english final exams, nor get a bad score in english, which i doubt that as i will learn even more as i go on with the lectures.

I came back to the doctor that told me to go and ask about my english level, he was surprised, as well as he said that it's very rare for such thing to happen, and it's the first time to ever happen the university i'm currently in, which made me feel special xD

All in all, YES!!! i'm a level 3 HOLLLLY SHIT!!! XD

Meanwhile we are around 40 students, all my classmates are level 1 except 3 or 5 which are level 2.
And i'm the only one in my class, and in the whole uni which is a first year and is a level 3, which is so fucking dope, gonna get all ze gurls, am i riggggggggggggggggght?

Also, i forgot to ask the doctor a question about a really tricky question that i got in the english test.
Which was something along the lines of:
If i could get enough money, i ....... go to an other country for a vacation trip.
  1. Might
  2. May

So, which one is it? i'm very curious.

Last edited:

Grizzly

Hunky Chunk of Love
Also, i forgot to ask the doctor a question about a really tricky question that i got in the english test.
Which was something along the lines of:
If i could get enough money, i ....... go to an other country for a vacation trip.
  1. Might
  2. May

So, which one is it? i'm very curious.
From my very short google adventure I found that "may" is used when an event could happen and "might" is used after the event has happened.
So "I may go to another country." is correct, but "I may have gone to another country." is not. Similarly, "I might go to another country." isn't correct, but "I might have gone to another country." is.

You could say that may is present tense and might is past tense.

And yes, I hate English and was relieved when I no longer had to do it. Maths all the way! Half of my school work is maths and half of is it computery stuff.

Ben289

Ben Junior

Ben

From my very short google adventure I found that "may" is used when an event could happen and "might" is used after the event has happened.
So "I may go to another country." is correct, but "I may have gone to another country." is not. Similarly, "I might go to another country." isn't correct, but "I might have gone to another country." is.

You could say that may is present tense and might is past tense.

And yes, I hate English and was relieved when I no longer had to do it. Maths all the way! Half of my school work is maths and half of is it computery stuff.

Computery Stuff? You set fire to a computer a few weeks ago...

Lolboy

Nolifer Extraordinaire

Lolboy

I think 'Might' would be used the most as it's also most fitting. Usually for me whenever I had English tests I went with what ever sounds/fits best. And 95/100 I'd be right. I don't think 'May' is wrong to use but simply less fitting.

2010wolf | Blw.tf

Staff Member
Admin
Mapper
I think 'Might' would be used the most as it's also most fitting. Usually for me whenever I had English tests I went with what ever sounds/fits best. And 95/100 I'd be right. I don't think 'May' is wrong to use but simply less fitting.

When i tried to answer that question, i used the same exact method of answering.
As you mentioned, it usually works perfectly.

sadly from what @Grizzly said, i'm afraid that i might have answered this question incorrectly, but it's ok, since i got a level 3, which is better than nothing, or a level 2 or 1 :p

Lolboy

Nolifer Extraordinaire

Lolboy

When i tried to answer that question, i used the same exact method of answering.
As you mentioned, it usually works perfectly.

sadly from what @Grizzly said, i'm afraid that i might have answered this question incorrectly, but it's ok, since i got a level 3, which is better than nothing, or a level 2 or 1 :p
Then I fear it's the left-over 5/100.

Timo

I watch you sleep c:
Staff Member
Admin
I have the feeling that most people in this community are little snowflakes with superior english knowledge. In my class there aren't many that can fluently read english text without pausing on a word. In my opinion the english exercises are way 2 ez too. Video games teach you more english than school also.
Anyway, grats wolfy!

2010wolf | Blw.tf

Staff Member
Admin
Mapper
Gratz WOlf, but

Sometimes I forgot that you can even english. I mean, you're the admin with the most "bad spelling" ratings... plsdon'tbetoooffended
i got a bad spelling for such a really fucking stupid reason from @Herobrine24 , and i still have it until this day, and i really want it to get removed.
in "here" you will see that he rated my first post in that thread bad spelling for the most stupidest reason ever, just because... lol

Also, he acted like a smartass back then, back when we didn't know that he is actually not 20 years old as he claimed.
so i was like, wow this guy is an asshole, once i knew he wasn't 20 y/o i was like... oh.. makes sense for such a person to rate me negatively for something this ridiculously stupid.

So ya, i got -1 rating for something this stupid, feels good am i riiiiiiiight?

One time i used natural instead of neutral on someone's admin app... ya, good times xD
@Noodl pointed it out, and i was surprised i actually made such a mistake, thus i do deserve the bad spelling i got from him.

Noodl

Something Else
Staff Member
Developer
Admin
I tend to magnetise those ratings to people. Rated BS for irony

As for might/may - both are entirely acceptable. Naturally 'might' is the one that the vast majority would use. May just sounds a little out of place there. Is far more formal sounding. I personally wouldn't use may in that case.

I guess I would use may in writing if I'm trying to adapt a formal tone, and it's a conditional - I may fire the employee if the situation requires it.

I would rarely say it in normal conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 8)

Top Bottom