Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Completed Removing announcement whenever punishing someone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben289

Ben Junior

Ben

Okay, so I was just on Deathrun and at the start I noticed someone had kindly posted a lovely anime spray which was rather revealing. So I proceeded to ban this spray, but the server broadcasted the sprayban to the entire server.

"Omg theres an admin here"
*gasp" "I wonder who it is."
"An admin on deathrun?"

So could we possibly remove the broadcasting to the whole server whenever we ban, comm block, or sprayban someone? I mean, the whole server doesn't need to know we have punished someone, do they? If I see someone breaking the rules, I have to record down there name, ID, punishment and length of time I would do, then wait to punish them... So could this be removed?

Console

Server Clearing
What about only the person that gets punishment can see it and admins aswell?

Ben289

Ben Junior

Ben

What about only the person that gets punishment can see it and admins aswell?

Maybe we could say "please go to sourcebans and put your name into comm blocks/bans" instead of announcing it to the server and the admin who did it...

A.P.

Truly Feared
Staff Member
Mapper
Or we kindly ask either @Lucas or @Benedevil to make it so it is not going to be displayed (which is what you want) i don't think we need a post for that since it is obvious that it isn't the best.

Last edited:

Lucas

Not really active
Staff Member
Developer
Admin
Flutter I only can do configs xD (Is fun to mess around with :p )
Bene does the actual plugins.

But yeah, I agree. If Bene could do that it would be wonderful. And I hope Ben that you didn't just ban the spray because it was anime... :mad:

Ben289

Ben Junior

Ben

Flutter I only can do configs xD (Is fun to mess around with :p )
Bene does the actual plugins.

But yeah, I agree. If Bene could do that it would be wonderful. And I hope Ben that you didn't just ban the spray because it was anime... :mad:

If I even sense a single bit of anime within a 500m radius of me, I make sure it is destroyed. :)

Jim

Cutiepie.tf
Staff Member
Admin
I'd prefer it stay public. When an admin punishes someone and everyone see's it, other players can take it as a warning to not do something stupid.

Ben289

Ben Junior

Ben

I'd prefer it stay public. When an admin punishes someone and everyone see's it, other players can take it as a warning to not do something stupid.

It's not our job to the read the rules for people, and if people need warned, admins can do it in chat with a different name and ccc turned off. If they need someone to have an admin tag to accept a warning, they shouldn't be on the servers.

Lolboy

Nolifer Extraordinaire

Lolboy

I'd like that... However, I'm not sure if removing it entirely is something I would personally agree with, and perhaps only output the message to admins instead. I like to see the punishment I gave would be what I intended it to be. I tend to type fast and spell things incorrectly at times.

Viking34

Alleviator of freedom
Staff Member
Manager
Admin
There are benefits to both alternatives. On one hand, dishing out punishments serves as a warning to other players and also gives the general population an idea of how long different transgressions are punished for, which can be helpful for aspiring applicants. On the other hand, hiding the message allows online admins to catch multiple people at once, while they still think they're not being monitored.

The best solution might be a toggling command, if it's worth the effort to write.

On a sidenote, admins (or is it just me?) can't actually see any ban message with time and reason upon issuing normal bans, but the rest of the players can. All we see is the 'Ben - you have been banned from this server'- disconnecting message.

Jim

Cutiepie.tf
Staff Member
Admin
On a sidenote, admins (or is it just me?) can't actually see any ban message with time and reason upon issuing normal bans, but the rest of the players can. All we see is the 'Ben - you have been banned from this server'- disconnecting message.
Yeah I've noticed that myself since being accepted, I always have sourcebans open in chrome though so double checking is easy

Wanka

Head Mod
Staff Member
Admin

spoi

Issuing bans displays no messages already, besides showing the banned name and "You have been banned from the server" followed by the appeal link. It's helpful but since the ban message pops up everyone still flips shit.

Disregarding that, I agree with removing the announcement and instead having it only shown to admins as to not confuse things if two admins are punishing different people on the same server and no-one knows who muted who. If the same could be applied to /slay and teamswitching not showing the admins name, then that would be just as dandy.

mr_minati

Truly Feared
As much as I like when rule a breaker gets a surprise ban or punishment by an admin, I'll go against this. I think people have the right to know what the admin is doing on a server, even if the announcement scares off potential rule breakers.

Reactions: Jim

Steve Harvey Oswald

Blackwonder's Own
Let's be real: if somebody wants to come on the server to grief, they will grief. Admin or not.

I've done enough Gmod server administering and griefing alongside some tf2 administrating to know that people who join servers just to grief will usually stay until they are banned, in which they pack up and move onto another server. Sometimes, the first thing a griefer will say is "is there an admin online" just to see how much they can get away with.

The thing is, in order to catch this group of people who show up purely to troll, you're also watching over new people who intend to play the game as intended but make mistakes every once in a while.

Do you warn these users before kicking or banning them? If you do, you're showing that an admin is already online, and people will know that they better be on their tip top behavior. If you don't warn them, then don't you think that's a little unfair?

For example, some rules may be a little complicated for newbies, such as the reds being allowed to kill baiters rule. A newbie accidentally claps a red who hits a blu who was just a little too close for a red's comfort, and what does a blu's first instinct? Kill the rebeller! Even with hours and hours on red team, identifying who's killing a baiter and who's a rebeller can be hard.

It seems just a little unfair to me, to put our new players at a disadvantage of not being given warnings just to try to catch people who will come and and cause havoc either way, admin or not.

I know what you're potentially thinking "VIPs can just warn them" but if there is a VIP online what's the point of hiding the admins? People already know there is somebody online who can dish out punishment, so why would they act any different around an Admin?

Ben289

Ben Junior

Ben

I know what you're potentially thinking "VIPs can just warn them" but if there is a VIP online what's the point of hiding the admins? People already know there is somebody online who can dish out punishment, so why would they act any different around an Admin?

Well, a donator doesn't have to be the person who warns someone, neither does an admin, members of the community can simply warn people before they are reported. So when I am undercover I will simply warn them in chat as I would do any other time... so they do receive a warning. It's also rather easy to tell when people are doing things intentionally, so I usually provide them with a harder punishment to someone who is new.

Grizzly

Hunky Chunk of Love
Lolboy beat me to my response. I'd like to be able to check whether or not I fucked up. If it could be made so admins can see their own bans, then only showing it to the punished/admin would be most ideal in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Top Bottom