Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

MGE Brazil server extremely poor performance

ampere

Strange
Steam
The brazilian MGE server of Blackwonder must be the worst performing server I've ever visited in my 8 years of TF2 and has been for many years, this would be the first time I reach for help about this. What I'm basically talking about is extremely jittery lag and stuttery movement all across the server, all day. I've played in several Brazilian servers before and not one of them has run as bad as this one. I would like to know if this complaint has been present before, and if you guys are aware of this. I'm open to providing more details and/or helping solve the issue, since I have vast experience setting up and running TF2 servers.

TheCrappyCompletionist

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Admin
I've got a few questions:
Are you the only one experiencing this issue, or is it everyone on the server?
Is it only the MGE server, or any other in the BR region?
What is your latency?
Can you attach a Net_graph 4 of when the lag is at its worst?

I'll do my best to look into this, thanks.

ampere

Strange
Steam
I've been asking around people that regularly play on the server about it, and I can guarantee I'm not the only one that experiences it. It has been described to me as "getting laggier the longer I spend on it".

There are other several Blackwonder BR servers, and I recall having the same issues in the Hightower No Carts server.

My latency as reported by the console with the ping command is about 60-80, depends on server load.

Over these next days I'll gather more information about my net_graph reports, my performance in other BLW and non-BLW servers, perhaps with video footage included and bring it over to make the diagnosing job easier.

Lord Of Something

Positively Inhumane
Steam
I recently entered SV Hightower BR to test something on my pc, I thought it was my internet, but apparently it wasn't, because my ping wasn't very high(was 30 - 70) but I kept lagging and teleporting when I tried to move, so I left and went to do other things.

TheCrappyCompletionist

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Admin
Over these next days I'll gather more information about my net_graph reports, my performance in other BLW and non-BLW servers, perhaps with video footage included and bring it over to make the diagnosing job easier.
That would really be helpful if you could do that, I appreciate it.

ampere

Strange
Steam

Over the course of these 2 videos I switch to different brazilian servers and show their performance.
I really don't think there's anything of much value to be shown here, but I'll leave that judgement up to you.
What I really see is the typical behavior of a server that never gets restarted when stuck on a single map: jitteryness starts building up. Based on that what I can really recommend is setting mp_timelimit to something else than 0, so map changes are forced to occur in order for the server to stay fresh.

TheCrappyCompletionist

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Admin
What I really see is the typical behavior of a server that never gets restarted when stuck on a single map: jitteryness starts building up.
We do restart our servers. they restart daily at 8am local time iirc.

I've never seen this "jitter" before. I'll see if I can look into it.

puntero

Steam
As a player who had rarely played MGE in Blackwonder's servers in the past, I can assure that the same jittery experience ampere is having happened to me as well. It really depends on the time of day I join, but it's always there even if it's slight. Just plain jitter and delayed events (even with 30-45ms of latency) that only happens on these specific MGE servers; sometimes respawning has a longer delay than usual, or damage registration, movement...
I've had to resort to different MGE servers either in Argentina, Chile or Brazil due to the sheer unplayability whenever my brain struck the nerve to play some MGE.

Honestly I can only guess without looking into it a little deeper that the reasoning behind this happening is just a lot of unnecesary plugins exploiting OnGameFrame or some heavy processing on every game frame, but like I said this is just all an assumption of mine.

TheCrappyCompletionist

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Admin
Honestly I can only guess without looking into it a little deeper that the reasoning behind this happening is just a lot of unnecesary plugins exploiting OnGameFrame or some heavy processing on every game frame, but like I said this is just all an assumption of mine.
I doubt so, as far as I know, MGE has less plugins than other servers.
I've already notified Benedevil and he'll look into it as soon as possible.

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 19)

Top Bottom