Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Completed Jeopardy and Other Quiz Related Minigames.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizzly

Hunky Chunk of Love
One of the rules we enforce on Jailbreak is no favouritism, meaning that all prisoners should be treated equally, in the case that you may let one prisoner off for doing something but kill another for doing the same thing. One of the games I've found this collides with is Jeopardy. Most Jeopardy/Quiz minigames involve a podium for the warden or host, and a certain amount of podiums for the prisoners, which is mostly 3. Sometimes the warden will decide to do Jeopardy with 4, 6, 9 (etc.) prisoners which causes some problems. The main thing a warden will do here is pick out 3 prisoners and tell the remaining prisoners to take the podiums when the prisoner previously on that podium has died. What this can lead to is prisoners sitting off doing nothing while 3 prisoners risk their lives. It's almost like letting them skip out of a game. The prisoner last picked to go on the podium doesn't have to risk his life nearly as much as the prisoners who were picked first, which makes it much easier for them to win the game. So what I want to propose is a system that goes along the lines of this:

The warden can only pick Jeopardy if the amount of reds is a multiple of the number of podiums. For example, if the map has 3 podiums, there must be 3, 6, 9, 12, etc. reds participating. The warden will pick 3 and ask a question. The warden then has a choice; ask two questions and kill one prisoner per question, leaving one alive, or ask one question and only let the person who gets the answer right live. The survivor sits off to the side and another 3 reds are chosen. This goes on until all the reds that have survived are off to the side. Now we encounter a problem. Let's say we had 12 reds. 1 person wins each round, leaving us with 4 reds once we are finished. 4 would not be a valid number to do more Jeopardy with. So I propose two solutions; A) Play a small game at this time to get the amount of reds to a multiple of 3 or B) Instead of the warden being able to pick Jeopardy when the amount of reds is a multiple of the number of podiums, the amount of reds must instead be a power of the number of podiums. For example, if there are 3 podiums, there must be 3 reds, 9 reds, or 27 reds. If there are 4 podiums, there must be 4 reds or 16 reds. This means that after all reds are off to the side, you will still have a multiple of 3. To demonstrate:

27 reds. 3 move to the podium. 1 lives, 2 die. Repeat this 9 times (because 9*3=27) and you end up with 9 prisoners. Ask 3 to move up to the podiums and the other 6 to sit off. 1 person lives, 2 die. Repeat this 3 times and you end up with 3 prisoners. Ask those 3 to move to the podium. 1 person lives, 2 die. The last person wins.

I understand that this explanation may be confusing and that, if you are able to understand what I'm getting at, the system would also be rather confusing to players. But I feel like we need to address the issue of reds being able to sit off while other reds risk their lives. Any other ideas that are less confusing or more effective than mine are very appreciated.

Lucas

Not really active
Staff Member
Developer
Admin
My opinion on the matter is just that Jeopardy/Trivia should only be done if there are Less or Equal prisoners as podiums.

MiyukiMouse

Swiss Knife

Miyu

Equal or less to the amount of podiums + tf2 related questions only.. When they come with chemical questions because they saw that recently in school doesn't make it that everyone knows the answer or seen it in school.. tf2 only..

Steve Harvey Oswald

Blackwonder's Own
Equal or less to the amount of podiums + tf2 related questions only.. When they come with chemical questions because they saw that recently in school doesn't make it that everyone knows the answer or seen it in school.. tf2 only..

I dunno about TF2 questions only. There are only so many questions before you get constant repeats. If we put a limit on what kind of questions you can ask you should limit it to videogame in General so there are many more questions to ask.

Besides, if everybody knew the correct answer it would be a game of "press the button first" and Mr. Clint Eastwood wannabe, the fastest button slinger in the wild jailbreak server, would constantly win.

Sakuya

Trickster
Hmm I see where you're going @Grizzly and its a wonderful idea but I'd rather have a rule set to where you can only play jeopardy with 3 reds to make it fair.
With the TF2 only questions, I believe it would be best if we can move more into other video games rather than just TF2. But I think there shouldn't be chemistry questions since majority of the jailbreak player base are kids ranging from 8-13/14 so of course they wouldn't know anything about chemistry. So, I think we should keep the questions game-related so we have more variety and choice (also we can do history questions since those are easy as well.)
Sak out!

Grizzly

Hunky Chunk of Love
I do think my suggestion was a bit over complicated. As for questions, I think they should be able to be somewhat difficult but not over the top. So simple maths, simple history, questions about other games like Portal, etc.

MiyukiMouse

Swiss Knife

Miyu

I dunno about TF2 questions only. There are only so many questions before you get constant repeats. If we put a limit on what kind of questions you can ask you should limit it to videogame in General so there are many more questions to ask.

Besides, if everybody knew the correct answer it would be a game of "press the button first" and Mr. Clint Eastwood wannabe, the fastest button slinger in the wild jailbreak server, would constantly win.
Not everyone knows Geography or Mathical questions to get the root of something or knows Chemistry. That's just unfair to those you ask questions where they have NO chance on ever. That's just the same as "who presses the first" but then "you die no matter what"

Steve Harvey Oswald

Blackwonder's Own
Not everyone knows Geography or Mathical questions to get the root of something or knows Chemistry. That's just unfair to those you ask questions where they have NO chance on ever. That's just the same as "who presses the first" but then "you die no matter what"

While I agree questions should not be too outrageous like "balance this chemical equation" everybody knowing the answer isn't the point of Jeopardy and Trivia. If you played a game of Trivia where everybody knew the answer, would that be as fun? No, it would devolve into "Who presses the button first" and at that point you may as well have a duel with your opponents because that would probably be twice as fun.

I simply think we should broaden the range of questions to all video games and maybe even pop culture (music, movies, comic books). That way, not everybody knows the answer all the time, and if you lost a game of Trivia it's because you actually didn't know something the opponent did rather than just being slower to press the button.

Viking34

Alleviator of freedom
Staff Member
Manager
Admin
The button system itself is fairly crap. It's better to just let them answer as fast as they can regardless of who presses the button, in which case there's no actual need for podiums in the first place.

Jeopardy with many people is suicide anyway; everyone is crammed into a tiny room with the warden.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Top Bottom