Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Jailbreak, but 64 players?

Jermbo

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member

Jermbo

Hello, very recently, this caught my eye that skial.tf did try to override the max players from 32 max players to 64.

However, please take a grain of salt, since this is very new for Team Fortress 2.

There is a package for "No-MvM" which works for any gamemode.
- Reduce server CPU usage by ~50%
- Extra players slots (Like max players for example)
- Interact with SourceTV spectators
- Reduce the number of networked entities and automatically remove disposable entities when the entity limit is met.

If need to we always can start with 40 and then slowly increase max players. This prob solves an issue of lagging (don't take my word), and mostly on weekends, JB is always full of players.

Link to GitHub as public uses (packages releases) - https://github.com/rafradek/sigsegv-mvm/releases/tag/20230430

NOTED:
- Some players have *Errorname* as their name, as rejoin or retry in the console seems fixed. I haven't confirmed this yet.
- Some limited on voice chat.

Jermbo

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member

Jermbo

Here is the video of my testing around on Skial.TF. At this moment it was 61/64 players. -

crikey

Legendary
Staff Member

crikey

While it would be fun to play, I don't believe the maps are built to accommodate this many players and I feel like it would be very unbalanced.

Peter

Australium
Staff Member
Admin
If this is something that could happen I feel like it could bring a lot of excitement into jailbreak.

crikey

Legendary
Staff Member

crikey

This may be a good thing to trial on us class wars since it is constantly hitting 32 players. We could implement it there and see what effects it has to gameplay.

Jermbo

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member

Jermbo

This may be a good thing to trial on us class wars since it is constantly hitting 32 players. We could implement it there and see what effects it has to gameplay.

Sure, besides I don't play US class wars anyway.

10000 Cold Knights

Sentinel
Staff Member
Admin
Class wars feels cramped enough when the server's full as it is. 64p would just bog things down further imo.
I'd be down to test it on jailbreak but we should probably be ready to revert it if things end up breaking. As was stated, its a bit more than some maps were built to handle, and even with the stability improvements to compensate someone could easily figure out a crash.

Jermbo

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member

Jermbo

Class wars feels cramped enough when the server's full as it is. 64p would just bog things down further imo.
I'd be down to test it on jailbreak but we should probably be ready to revert it if things end up breaking. As was stated, its a bit more than some maps were built to handle, and even with the stability improvements to compensate someone could easily figure out a crash.
As I suggest starting with 40 players, if we like to stay with 40 players then sure. However, if Lucas or Bene feel like increasing then be my guest.

Crashing servers is the most concern to have, like memory corruption, etc. However, there is already an issue with Optimization Crash which was closed yesterday.

Chris TCC

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Admin
either we increase the max playercount bit by bit, or we increase the limit on the map rotation class wars, as most maps there are a bit more open than... dustbowl...

crikey

Legendary
Staff Member

crikey

An idea that has been thrown around is that we increase the player limit to 64 on a jb server other than US and see what happens. It may potentially attract players since it is the only jb server with it.

INGSOCISTWHIP

Notably Dangerous
I think it would be better on SZF, imagine Pen15, The Turtle maps, Skyrim, Mercy Hospital or The Bridge with 60 players

Imagine all the chaos

Best of all I won't experience too much lag

Last edited:

Chris TCC

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Admin
An idea that has been thrown around is that we increase the player limit to 64 on a jb server other than US and see what happens. It may potentially attract players since it is the only jb server with it.
if we did that, we'd need to be sure to test and re-test the maps included that they could properly support that many players. I'd imagine some maps don't even have enough spawn points n stuff.

Viking34

Alleviator of freedom
Staff Member
Manager
Admin
This might work better in Arena mode, as a trial. Most regular maps would be unplayable in the long run, even if interesting as a one-time event

StenRodd

Epic
Staff Member
64 players in arena mode on a particularly large map

Call it Battle Royale mode, and rake in billions

Hey, I like the idea of battle royale gamemode in source games like tf2, there's also a way to make map bigger with no limit on source engine
but it will take too much effort, space and game optimization

Cool concept of making battle royale gamemode in source engines but i think it will work better on tf2 classic deathmatch or CS

Sore

I have a question:
What if people are errornames then go to Blue and freekill and leave and people don't know who it is?

Could this problem be fixed?

Top Bottom