Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Read Me Introducing: Virus

Noodl

Something Else
Staff Member
Developer
Admin
Hey, me again.
As some of you may or may not have known, I've been writing an entirely new gamemode somewhat recently, and launched public playtest tonight, which concluded a few more balance changes.

So here's the official thread for the new Virus gamemode. Introducing:

Virus:
Run from the infection

Virus is a gamemode in which one player starts as the virus, and has to infect the blue players.
The twist is that there's darkness everywhere, and you can only see a small distance around you.
The virus is growing, and it's coming.
  • The virus kills you in two consecutive hits. You cannot fight back. Avoiding the finishing blow for long enough will allow you to recover, and take another hit.
  • If you get infected, you too, burst into flames and start chasing the living.
  • Survivors get terror music to signify different levels of distance to the viruses.
  • Survivors are equipped with a scorch shot with limited ammo, this is for knocking back a pursuing virus as a last resort to escape.
  • Survivors and viruses are equipped with a sonar radar. This outlines players in different ways every so often, for a few seconds. As the remaining survivors begin to deplete, viruses will stop seeing survivors, and finally, survivors will see the blazing viruses through the darkness.
  • Survivors are also equipped with a hammer, which outlines a virus and slows them down, allowing for an escape.
  • Maps are going to be primarily Prophunt. VSH maps are also up for testing, but are generally smaller and less fittingly designed for this purpose.
  • Any arena maps that have certain map entities will work.
  • Survivors can scorch jump, and will not take any burn damage, but will take the flare damage.
  • 1 random virus is selected at the start of each round.
  • Survivors get 30 seconds of hiding time before the virus is unleashed.

For those who played Virus tonight, what was your overall response to it?
What would you add, remove, or change?
Do you have any suggestions?

My roadmap for changes are as follows:

• Change the virus' high jump for a sliiiightly higher double jump to counteract scorch shot jumping to inaccessible places.
  • Add powerups, for things like increased vision, speed, maybe a temporary weapon, outlining. Suggestions for these would be appreciated.
  • Add something to make virus gameplay a little more directed, as I felt I was just wandering around in the dark. Sound tells or something maybe.
  • Tighten up team change rules to stop people suiciding and changing teams therefore wasting rounds.
I'm very much looking for feedback on the game still.
As like most TF2 gamemodes, I'm faced with the reality that it won't get many players because it's not x10.

Public server:
77.75.122.206:27355
Currently only up when doing playtests, as I'm not releasing something I'm not completely happy with.

Winter

Protector of the Realm
Ayo! Congratulations Noodl and whoever else worked on this plugin, it seems really great! I'll be sure to check it out when I get the chance. Keep up the great work.

D

Deleted member 2049

Hey, me again.
As some of you may or may not have known, I've been writing an entirely new gamemode somewhat recently, and launched public playtest tonight, which concluded a few more balance changes.

Virus:
Run from the infection

Virus is a gamemode in which one player starts as the virus, and has to infect the blue players.
The twist is that there's darkness everywhere, and you can only see a small distance around you.
  • The virus kills you in two consecutive hits. You cannot fight back. Avoiding the finishing blow for long enough will allow you to recover, and take another hit.
  • Survivors get terror music to signify different levels of distance to the viruses.
  • Survivors are equipped with a scorch shot with limited ammo, this is for knocking back a pursuing virus as a last resort to escape.
  • Survivors and viruses are equipped with a sonar radar. This outlines players in different ways every so often, for a few seconds. As the remaining survivors begin to deplete, viruses will stop seeing survivors, and finally, survivors will see the blazing viruses through the darkness.
  • Survivors are also equipped with a hammer, which outlines a virus and slows them down, allowing for an escape.
  • Maps are going to be primarily Prophunt. VSH maps are also up for testing, but are generally smaller and less fittingly designed for this purpose.
  • Survivors can scorch jump, and will not take any burn damage, but will take the flare damage.

• Change the virus' high jump for a sliiiightly higher double jump to counteract scorch shot jumping to inaccessible places.
  • Add powerups, for things like increased vision, speed, maybe a temporary weapon, outlining. Suggestions for these would be appreciated.
  • Add something to make virus gameplay a little more directed, as I felt I was just wandering around in the dark. Sound tells or something maybe.
  • Tighten up team change rules to stop people suiciding and changing teams therefore wasting rounds.
As like most TF2 gamemodes, I'm faced with the reality that it won't get many players because it's not x10.

Public server:
Currently only up when doing playtests, as I'm not releasing something I'm not completely happy with.
That already exist I think, its called zombies. Except blu medics try and kill red engineers

♫ѕнαику

Strange
That already exist I think, its called zombies. Except blu medics try and kill red engineers
It might exist, but at least you can play as other classes.

Hey, me again.

Virus:
Run from the infection

Public server:

Aegeus Dusk is right, it kind of is like zombies but, you can play as other classes. That's good.

Plus, could there be a way where you can get cured when you're infected, either it would happen after a while, a random chance, or by picking up something. That would be nice.

Other than that, the game is good and I look forward to playing this.

hey ya

Dark Elf

obluda

I believe someone recommended Noodl to add zombies. My guess is he looked at the mode and didn't find it satisfactory so he made his own plugin that enhances it.

Nice work Noodl, I'll try it in my freetime for sure!

Cinnamon

roll
I played around 5 (more or less) rounds during the play test, and in my opinion it would be a great gamemode as long as there are many more players to play with. Also, the gamemode felt extremely balanced in my opinion.
-Reminds me of Zombie Fortress, but the zombies don't die and you run away instead of kill them. Also reminds of the Toxic or ghost hunt minigame from ba_Chretien
-The "Toxic" or "Virus" felt a little difficult to play as, for it wasn't easy for me to kill survivors (the darkness definitely makes things harder.). This could be troublesome for new players, and I feel like that will most likely lead to more suicides as Virus and/or a lower player base.
-Survivors are hard to kill if you can't flank them or juke them, because they move faster than the Virus. Also, the jump height works in the Virus's favor as you can jump a high fence or ledge in order to intercept the survivors. Basically, Virus requires a little more cunning and cleverness, which in my opinion a lot of new players lack.
-It seems like you put a lot of thought about survivors hiding inside the darkness, because the sensor works great for that. Even if there is one last survivor, you'll usually have around 23 blazing monsters seeking him out. So good job on that @Noodl :D.
-The fact that survivors can scorch shot jump up to inaccessible places will make it so killing the last survivor would be almost impossible. I suggest maybe a reaching attack like throwing a guillotine and/or sandman ball/wrap assassin ornament.
-I guess I would suggest maps with more winding paths and less heights so it would be easier to play the Virus.

Overall, The gamemode feels balanced and I would definitely play it on my free time!

Hope it gets implemented!​

Noodl

Something Else
Staff Member
Developer
Admin
I believe someone recommended Noodl to add zombies. My guess is he looked at the mode and didn't find it satisfactory so he made his own plugin that enhances it.

Nice work Noodl, I'll try it in my freetime for sure!

I actually started writing this before even looking at other zombie modes. I based it off of TimeSplitters 2's Virus gamemode. It was one of the concept ideas I had after fiddling with map darkness and getting each player to have different view ranges.

It's similar to ZvE, except it's less combat, more hide. I wanted an effect similar to Slender, where you can't fight back, but also don't know where the threat will come from.

I played around 5 (more or less) rounds during the play test, and in my opinion it would be a great gamemode as long as there are many more players to play with. Also, the gamemode felt extremely balanced in my opinion.
-Reminds me of Zombie Fortress, but the zombies don't die and you run away instead of kill them. Also reminds of the Toxic or ghost hunt minigame from ba_Chretien
-The "Toxic" or "Virus" felt a little difficult to play as, for it wasn't easy for me to kill survivors (the darkness definitely makes things harder.). This could be troublesome for new players, and I feel like that will most likely lead to more suicides as Virus and/or a lower player base.
-Survivors are hard to kill if you can't flank them or juke them, because they move faster than the Virus. Also, the jump height works in the Virus's favor as you can jump a high fence or ledge in order to intercept the survivors. Basically, Virus requires a little more cunning and cleverness, which in my opinion a lot of new players lack.
-It seems like you put a lot of thought about survivors hiding inside the darkness, because the sensor works great for that. Even if there is one last survivor, you'll usually have around 23 blazing monsters seeking him out. So good job on that @Noodl :D.
-The fact that survivors can scorch shot jump up to inaccessible places will make it so killing the last survivor would be almost impossible. I suggest maybe a reaching attack like throwing a guillotine and/or sandman ball/wrap assassin ornament.
-I guess I would suggest maps with more winding paths and less heights so it would be easier to play the Virus.

Overall, The gamemode feels balanced and I would definitely play it on my free time!

Hope it gets implemented!​

Virus gameplay is sort of intentionally like that, I wanted the virus to have to outsmart the survivors rather than just W'ing straight towards them all.

I did feel red gameplay was a bit of a fumble around until I found the first couple people, which I guess is what it should be. Might try add some ambient sounds or something if I can find any suitable ones.

I brainstormed a bit about attacks like that, but the issue is, they're them available for when you're just chasing a survivor on flat ground. Same goes for an ability like a gravity pull.

I'm going to give reds a higher double jump and hope it combats that.

Thanks for the detailed feedback.

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 7)

Top Bottom