Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Declined IMAHAPPYFATLARD's Moderator Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMAHAPPYFATLARD

User name: IMAHAPPYFATLARD

Name
IMAHAPPYFATLARD

Your Age

Your SteamID
STEAM_0:0:46678939

Your DiscordID
IMAHAPPYFATLARD#7646

Have you managed servers previously? No

On what servers do you usually play on and which one would you like to moderate?
I usually play on Valve servers and trading servers. I would like to be a moderator on the Blackwonder US Trade Minecraft server.

Why would you like to become a moderator?
The main reason I would like to become an admin is to give back to the Team Fortress 2 community that has given me so much in the past. I have been a big Team Fortress 2 fan for many years. No matter how my day has gone, I can rest assured that the Team Fortress 2 community will be a supportive and fun outlet for me to come home to.

Given the positive impact the Team Fortress 2 community has had on me, I have decided that I want to give back in to the community. What better way is there to give back than being a server admin! While I know that the duties and responsibilities of being an admin are at times far from glamorous, I would be willing to work through those times for the sake of bettering the community I care so much about.

Do you know and have spoken to any of the current staff members? No

When are you usually available to play?
This is my usual play schedule (PST): Mondays: 2 pm-12 am Tuesdays: 6 pm-11 pm Wednesdays: 2 pm11 pm Thursdays: 6 pm-11 pm Fridays: 6 pm-12 am Saturdays: 2 pm-12 am Sundays: 2pm-10 pm

Please give us your ideal way of punishing players, specific to the server you want to moderate
How would you go about punishing a hacker, spammer, simple rulebreaker, etc?
Please note that these are just my opinions on what appropriate punishments should be. If there are any standards Blackwonder admins have in place, I will be more than happy to abide by them. Here I will detail how I would punish different types of offences:

• Hacking: Results in a permanent ban from the server. Hacking should not be tolerated in any form.

• Foreign Language in Voice Chat – Ask the player to speak English > 1hr mute > 2hr mute > 6hr mute > 24hr mute > 3 day mute > 1 week mute > 1 month mute > 3 month mute > permanent mute.

• Impersonating Admin: 1 day ban > 1 week ban > 1 month ban > 3 month ban > Permanent ban

• Poor Quality or Broken Mic: Ask them to adjust their mic settings (possibly turn down gain) > 1hr mute > 2hr mute > 6hr mute > 24hr mute > 3 day mute > 7 day mute > 1 month mute > 3 month mute > Permanent mute

• Spamming: Ask them to stop spamming > 1hr mute/gag/silence > 2hr mute/gag/silence > 6hr mute/gag/silence > 24hr mute/gag/silence> 3 day mute/gag/silence > 7 day mute/gag/silence > 1 month mute/gag/silence > 3 month mute/gag/silence > Permanent mute/gag/silence.

• Calling Out an Undercover Admin - 1hr mute/gag/silence > 2hr mute/gag/silence > 6hr mute/gag/silence > 24hr mute/gag/silence > 3 day mute/gag/silence > 7 day mute/gag/silence > 1 month mute/gag/silence > 3 month mute/gag/silence > Permanent mute/gag/silence

• Racism/Bigotry: 1 day mute/gag/silence > 7 day mute/gag/silence > 1 month mute/gag/silence > 3 month mute/gag/silence > permanent mute/gag/silence.

• !calladmin abuse: Ask them to stop abusing !calladmin > 1hr ban > 2hr ban > 6hr ban > 7 day mute/gag/silence > 1 month mute/gag/silence > 3 month mute/gag/silence > Permanent ban

• Advertising Hacks or Exploits: 1hr mute/gag/silence > 1 day mute/gag/silence > 1 week mute/gag/silence > 1 month mute/gag/silence > 3 month mute/gag/silence > permanent mute/gag/silence

• NSFW Spray: kick + spray ban until spray is approved by an admin

• Griefing: Ask them to stop griefing > kill > 1hr ban > 2hr ban > 6hr ban > 24hr ban > 1 week ban > 1 month ban> 3 month ban > Permanent ban

How I would deal with different types of situations on specific servers:

• Trade
Since I have spent most of my private server time on trade servers, I will go more in-depth here:
o Hacking/Exploiting: Hackers and exploiters should not be tolerated on any server, especially trade servers. Since trade servers are usually pretty casual in nature, hackers can really have a negative impact on the server.
o Scam Advertising or Phishy Links: 1hr mute/gag/silence > 2hr mute/gag/silence > 6hr mute/gag/silence > 24hr mute/gag/silence> 3 day mute/gag/silence > 7 day mute/gag/silence > 1 month mute/gag/silence > 3 month mute/gag/silence > Permanent mute/gag/silence.

• VSH
o The only real problem that I have experienced in Saxton Hale servers is mic spamming when the player dies and is not happy about it. This should be punished by: Asking the player to calm down > 1hr mute/gag/silence > 2hr mute/gag/silence > 6hr mute/gag/silence > 24hr mute/gag/silence> 3 day mute/gag/silence > 7 day mute/gag/silence > 1 month mute/gag/silence > 3 month mute/gag/silence > Permanent mute/gag/silence.

• 2fort
o The main problem I see in 2fort games is snipers using walls or aimbots. This should be punishable by a permanent ban.

• Times X Servers
o Times X Servers seem to have the common problem of spawn killing. This should first be punishable by a warning >
1hr ban> 2hr ban > 6hr ban > 24hr ban > 3 day ban > 7 day ban > 1 ban > 3 month ban > Permanent ban.

• Uber Upgrades/Zombie Fortress
o From my experience, both of these game modes’ problems involve rude/inappropriate chat spam. This should be punishable by a warning > 1 day ban > 7 day ban > Permanent ban

• MvM
o MVM seems to be a game mode where things either go great or horrible. Teams usually find a way to cooperate with each other or despise each other by the end of the round. Mic and chat abuse seems to be the main problem with MvM, especially when the team fails a round. This should be addressed by a warning > 1hr ban> 2hr ban > 6hr ban > 24hr ban > 3 day ban > 7 day ban > 1 ban > 3 month ban > Permanent ban.

Is there any other information you would like us to know about?
In real life I have some administrative experience that would prove highly beneficial if I were to be chosen to be an admin for Blackwonder. Previously, I was an assistant manager of a Jimmy John’s restaurant. Hiring, firing, and helping employees improve their work lives were just a few of my responsibilities while working there. The interpersonal skills I gained from that job were invaluable, and would come to play in my benefit if I were chosen to be an admin.

Another reason I think I am a good candidate to be an admin is my personal background. I grew up in Portland, Oregon. Throughout my schooling years, I was taught to never put up with any type of racism or over derogatory language whatsoever. While I understand that some people may not speak in the most positive manner (especially on the internet), I understand that there are grey areas and boundaries that should not be crossed. Profanity that targets, one’s race, gender, sex, or abilities is clearly unacceptable and has no place in the Team Fortress 2 community. Given my background, I would consider myself a good judge of what should be a bannable offence, and what would be deserving of a lesser punishment, such as a warning.

Also, I know that there are certain grey areas that apply to certain gamemodes that Team Fortress 2 offers. I would not be quick to “drop the Banhammer” on anyone that I deem worthy. I would be willing to learn from other Blackwater admins on the severity of the punishments that certain actions warrant. Also, I am able to recognize that there are certain situations that are not clearly black and white, and that some discretion would be required.

Another reason I am a good candidate to be an admin is that I am very familiar with trading and potential scams. Unfortunately, I have been witness to quite a few trade scams, so I am familiar with most of the scams out there. I have spent a lot of time on the Blackwonder Minecraft trading server recently, and I have not witnessed any scams take place. That being said, I have only seen one admin on the server, and they appeared to be away from their keyboard when I was in the server. If someone were to attempt a scam, I don’t know if they would have been able to punish the player, as they were not actively playing the game. Seeing the apparent lack of admins on the server is part of what brought me to apply to Blackwonder in the first place. While my sample size of time on the server is relatively small, there seems to be a need for an admin on the Minecraft server.

In addition to my observation of the lack of admins on the Minecraft server, I believe that some of my college experience would prove beneficial to Blackwonder. I started out in college as a computer science major, and have taken up to 300 level programming courses. While these courses may not seem relevant to being an admin, I see them being beneficial in learning the command structure of Team Fortress 2. I am not very familiar with admin commands in Team Fortress 2, but given my previous coding experience, I think that I would be an excellent candidate for learning new commands. Also, my experience could come in handy in server management, if that would be asked of me.

Along with my programming experience, I am generally a nice and agreeable person. The main reason I would like to be an admin would not be to just punish people. I would not be afraid to hand down punishments when they are required, but that is not the main reason I am applying. I have generally good social skills, and I would enjoy getting to know server members and communicating with people on the servers in general.

Along with Team Fortress 2, I have a lot of other gaming experience. Through the course of my life, I have almost put 2 YEARS of playtime in to the Halo franchise. I have played in the big leagues and know that games can be competitive at times. This experience can help me when things get heated between people during a game. I would be well-equipped to defuse tense situations should they arise.
Although I do not know any of the Blackwater staff, or almost anyone in the Blackwater community, you can know that I would be a valuable asset to your team. I have never gotten in to any major arguments with people online, and I am a kind person. I am willing to address conflict if the need arose, but I do not search it out. I would love to be your most recent addition to your moderating team!

Overall, I think that my previous skills, knowledge, and experiences would make me an ideal candidate for an admin on Blackwonder servers. Thank you for your time and consideration!

Are you proficient in languages other than English? No

Last edited:

Practical

Unremarkable
Hello Happy, I will be doing a quick review of your application,

On what servers do you usually play on and which one would you like to moderate?
I have not previously managed servers. While I am not familiar with admin commands, I do have college-level programming experience under my belt. That might help me in understanding some of the commands I would potentially be using. I am very teachable, and would be more than willing to learn all of the commands required!
Please specify which servers you would like to moderate.
Immature Voice Chat: I would have to use discretion on if the chat breaks any rules or not. If the chatter is annoying a lot of people, possibly ask them to quiet down >1hr mute > 2hr mute > 6hr mute > 24hr mute > 3 day mute > Permanent mute.
We do not punish for Immature voice, but we do punish for incomprehensible mic on blue(jailbreak rule)
Foreign Language in Voice Chat – As far as I know, foreign languages are allowed in Blackwonder servers. However if the language borders on spam or overly loud: Ask the player to quiet their tone > 1hr mute > 2hr mute > 6hr mute > 24hr mute > 3 day mute > 1 week mute > permanent mute.
Blackwonder servers are English only, this information can be found in the rules.
Impersonating Admin: 1hr mute/gag/silence > 2hr mute/gag/silence > 6hr mute/gag/silence > 24hr mute/gag/silence > Permanent ban
We do not mute players for staff impersonation, the punishment for this usually starts with a 1 day ban.
Racism/Bigotry: 48hr mute/gag/silence > permanent mute/gag/silence.
We usually start with a 24 hour mute/gag.
Advertising Hacks or Exploits: Firmly tell them to stop advertising + 1hr mute/gag/silence > permanent mute/gag/silence
We do not Warn People who advertise hacks.
NSFW Spray: Ask them to change their spray to a more appropriate one > kick + permanent spray ban
We do not warn or kick players for inappropriate sprays, we usually sprayban them permanently until they prove to a staff member that they have changed it.
Inappropriate Name: Ask them to change their name > 1hr ban > 2hr ban > 6hr ban > 24hr ban > Permanent ban
We do not punish players for their names.
Spawn Killing: I seem to be pretty lax on this one. It seems like there is a lot of sniper wars/spawn killing on trade style maps, but it always seems to work itself out. No harsh punishments unless it becomes a true problem.
For trade servers we do not punish for spawncamping.
I will be ignoring the other gamemodes as i am not familiar with them.

Your punishment ladder needs a lot of work, the ramp up of time should not go from 3 days or a week to perm, please add more space in between and do not jump to a perm mute/ban.

While your application is well written, your punishments could use some adjusting.

Have a good day,
Practical

Last edited:

IMAHAPPYFATLARD

Hello Practical,

Thank you for your input. I will adjust my punishments accordingly. I would mainly be looking to moderate trade servers.

Edit: I just went through my application and revised it according to your recommendations.

Last edited:

Jack.

uɐᴉlɐɹʇsn∀
Staff Member
G'day Happy,

I've checked your logs, there's nothing of concern, and you seem quite nice through chat. From the amount of entries you have compared to your play time (7hours 35mins) I'm assuming you're either very quiet and don't say much or you use your mic more so than chat. This is all since TFStats came out of beta and subsequently got reset.

Have a nice day/night and good luck.
-Foxsera

Vix

Somewhat Threatening
Hi, before I give my opinion as I assume you're applying to the server that I moderate (as I see you most often on there) you still have yet to specifically update where you would like to moderate which Practical asked you back on February 1st.

Anyhow, whenever I see you on the servers if I'm either undercover or just playing you don't seem to talk at all, you're a very quiet person, which is fine but at least In my own personal opinion you should strive to have a slightly larger presence on the server, you seem to want to help which is pretty good as the server I moderate only really has me on there (excluding more recently with Azzy joining from time to time) and it would be nice to have another moderator on there for when I'm offline or just in general as it can get rather hectic. Also I would like to make a quick point that spawnkilling/spawncamping is actually not against the rules on trade servers due to the nature of them.

Anyhow I wish you luck in your application, I hope to see you being more active verbally in the server!

Hope you have a nice rest of your day!

Chris TCC

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Admin
Howdy, I'll be dropping my two cents about this application real quick.

• Advertising Hacks or Exploits: 1hr mute/gag/silence > 1 day mute/gag/silence > 1 week mute/gag/silence > 1 month mute/gag/silence > 3 month mute/gag/silence > permanent mute/gag/silence
I would personally just permanently silence for advertising cheats. we don't tolerate advertising cheats in any way, even as a joke.

o The main problem I see in 2fort games is snipers using walls or aimbots. This should be punishable by: 1 day ban > 7 day ban > Permanent ban
you would give hackers a second chance?

now for a quick opinion on your essay:
Also, I know that there are certain grey areas that apply to certain gamemodes that Team Fortress 2 offers. I would not be quick to “drop the Banhammer” on anyone that I deem worthy. I would be willing to learn from other Blackwater admins on the severity of the punishments that certain actions warrant. Also, I am able to recognize that there are certain situations that are not clearly black and white, and that some discretion would be required.
it's nice to know you understand this and are willing to learn.

In general, your application has a lot of detail and work put into it, which I appriciate.

Thank you for your time and good luck with your application.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vix

Somewhat Threatening
I want to make a quick note because I personally just noticed this, you have 18 hours on our servers but with only 74 messages ever sent, also regarding this you never speak in-game or attempt to help people with the rules (although not a requirement), I also never see you on the discord server in either request help or general chat.

along with this the majority of your messages were trade binds just stating what you were trading.

I really hope you start being more active verbally because as it stands I don't really even notice you on the server and from that I can't really say anything about you outside of what I already have and although you seem to want to help going off of your application, the same can't be said in-game.

10000 Cold Knights

Sentinel
Staff Member
Admin
Howdy Happy,
I had planned on reviewing this weeks ago, but better late than never, huh?
Prior Punishments: Spotless. Very good.
Chat Logs: Nothing unusual here either. You playtime looks little on the low side, but TFStats being reset upon coming out of beta probably means that number is lower than it actually is, so not really an issue there.
Punishment Ladders: Some of the problems have already been addressed, however a few issues remain. First and foremost:
• Jailbreak
While I have never played on a Jailbreak server, I have familiarized myself with the common rules and problems on these types of servers. Some of the common offences are worse than others, and these require more strict punishments. My punishments for certain offences are:
o Free Killing: People not following the basic rules of Jailbreak and killing at random. Punishable by 1 day ban > 7 day ban > Permanent ban
o Shooting Soccer Balls: Ask the offender to stop > 1 day ban > 7 day ban > Permanent ban
o Blue Team asking the prisoners to do something inappropriate: Ask the guards to refrain from such behavior > 1 day ban > 7 day ban > Permanent ban
o General Mic Spamming: Ask the person to refrain from such behavior > 1 day ban > 7 day ban > Permanent ban
This is really shallow for a JB ladder. My personal recommendation would be to just not bother with trying to make one, as you have no listed playtime on Jailbreak and don't appear to wish to moderate it, but you are more than welcome to try and fix the ladder if you wish. I'd recommend both reading our JB rules and taking inspiration from the ladders of accepted JB applicants (Please don't plagiarize tho), to get a better understanding of what our standards are for JB punishments.
• VSH
o The only real problem that I have experienced in Saxton Hale servers is mic spamming when the player dies and is not happy about it. This should be punished by: Asking the player to calm down > 1 day ban > 7 day ban > Permanent ban

• 2fort
o The main problem I see in 2fort games is snipers using walls or aimbots. This should be punishable by: 1 day ban > 7 day ban > Permanent ban

• Uber Upgrades/Zombie Fortress
o From my experience, both of these game modes’ problems involve rude/inappropriate chat spam. This should be punishable by a warning > 1 day ban > 7 day ban > Permanent ban

• MvM
o MVM seems to be a game mode where things either go great or horrible. Teams usually find a way to cooperate with each other or despise each other by the end of the round. Mic and chat abuse seems to be the main problem with MvM, especially when the team fails a round. This should be addressed by a warning > 1 day ban > 7 day ban > Permanent ban
These all have similar issues and also conflict with your punishments for your top section.
Conclusion: I think you'd make a decent staff member, at least on the Trade servers. Your application looks clean, your lack of priors or bad logs is nice, and your main ladders don't look too bad. I'd recommend spending a healthy amount of time on some of our other servers if you wish to moderate other game modes, but if your intent is to mainly stick with Trade Minecraft then I don't have any outstanding concerns. Good luck.

Jim

Cutiepie.tf
Staff Member
Admin
If you’ve never played jailbreak you are in no way familiar with it just because you read the rules page.

IMAHAPPYFATLARD

Thank you for all of your input on my application. I made changes to the punishments in the specific game mode sections. I only added my punishments for Jailbreak because I was trying to cover all of my bases with different game modes in TF2. I have never actually played Jailbreak before, nor is it my intent to. My main intent is to be a moderator on the Trade Minecraft server, not any other servers. In the meantime I will try to get more playtime and activity in on the Trade Minecraft server.

Last edited:

RainbowRobb

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Manager
Admin
Hello @IMAHAPPYFATLARD . I hope you are having a good day. Due to your intermittent activity, I had left you app open much longer than we prefer. But it appears you still go 5+ days between connecting to the servers. If you should happen to become more active for a prolonged period of time, we would be more than happy to reconsider a place for you on the staff team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 8)

Top Bottom