Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to make deathrun map

sunstep

Truly Feared
First, you need to understand a few rules of mapping before you get into it:

1. You MUST work neat in hammer, don't make a mess whenever you work in hammer.
  2. NO empty space, when it's not needed. When creating an open space, use func_viscluster properly. And do NOT put your map inside a big skybox or nodraw or whatever texture. Just no.
  3. NEVER use fast compile. if full compiles takes forever, then you're doing something wrong. Let that be an indicator.
  4. Whenever you notice that there is a leak in your map when you are compiling, cancel the compilation and fix the leak. (just download compile pal and you'll notice red text when compiling).
  5. Always keep your map optimized !
Don't worry too much about those rules for now, just keep them in mind. First you might not know what it's about. But when you get in mapping you'll notice automatically what I mean. For example now you might not know what a leak is, but once you get into mapping your self you'll surely run into one for sure. And then you suddenly understand what I mean. So it's just a matter of patience to understand them.

Visit this link: https://github.com/ficool2/HammerPl...ownload/8849/hammerplusplus_tf2_build8849.zip
Also visit this link: Compile Pal - This is a very user friendly compiler, I totally recommend it. Especially for beginners.

For the second link: Simply extract everything into a folder and do NOT open compile pal for now. Follow the steps below first to get hammer++ running. When you have followed the steps below, you will be allowed to open Compile pal.

When you download the zip from the first link, extract it. You will notice a hammerplusplus folder, and inside that folder, there is a folder called bin. Now open another explorer window and go to your tf2 location. By default this is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2

Remember the bin folder that is INSIDE the hammerplusplus folder from the zip that you downloaded? Just move it into the Team Fortress 2 folder. Now open the bin folder that is inside Team Fortress 2 and find hammerplusplus.exe. Once you have found it, right click it and click on create shortcut (send to desktop). Now you can start hammer from your desktop. BUT WAIT! Don't start hammer++ YET. First, go back to the BIN folder inside Team Fortress 2 folder, now search for hammer.exe OR hammer.bat (if hammer.exe is not there) and now start hammer.exe. After it's started up, close it again. NOW you can start up hammer++. I won't explain now why you have to start the original hammer first, to keep things simple. But just do it.

If you want to add hammerplusplus to steam, make sure to browse for the original hammer++ exe, and not the shortcut. Just in case you ever move the shortcut or delete it.

Congratulations! You're now ready to get started with torture Mapping.

In the top left corner you will find a button called 'file', click on it and then press new. Now you will find 4 different windows. You will need all of them. But to create a simple wall, you will always have to use the 2D grids, never use the 3d grids to adjust the size of your brushes (walls).
So after creating a new project, you will already see an environment. The view with the environment is called the 3D view. Now, it's important to remember that nothing is allowed to be in that environment, only walls and skybox textures are allowed to be there. Anything else will make your map fail to compile properly.

Now I will send you a video that is part of a series, the program of the mapper is outdated but ignore that because it's pretty similar. Don't use the original hammer like he does in the video.

Watch it and listen properly to what he says. Follow his guides and make sure to watch all videos in the series.

If you have any questions, my discord is sunstep#0001

Last edited:

sunstep

Truly Feared
Before starting with a deathrun map, just play around in hammer first. Learn the basics before starting with a complicated game mode like deathrun.

But once you think you are ready for mapping, then refer to this guide: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2386589950

It's great because of the fact that it's specifically made for deathrun. If you are unsure whether you understand the basics of mapping, feel free to create a map project to play around in hammer and then show it to me in discord so I can check for all mistakes you have made.

pyro

sad

First, you need to understand a few rules of mapping before you get into it:

1. You MUST work neat in hammer, don't make a mess whenever you work in hammer.
  2. NO empty space, when it's not needed. When creating an open space, use func_viscluster properly. And do NOT put your map inside a big skybox or nodraw or whatever texture. Just no.
  3. NEVER use fast compile. if full compiles takes forever, then you're doing something wrong. Let that be an indicator.
  4. Whenever you notice that there is a leak in your map when you are compiling, cancel the compilation and fix the leak. (just download compile pal and you'll notice red text when compiling).
  5. Always keep your map optimized !
Don't worry too much about those rules for now, just keep them in mind. First you might not know what it's about. But when you get in mapping you'll notice automatically what I mean. For example now you might not know what a leak is, but once you get into mapping your self you'll surely run into one for sure. And then you suddenly understand what I mean. So it's just a matter of patience to understand them.

Visit this link: https://github.com/ficool2/HammerPl...ownload/8849/hammerplusplus_tf2_build8849.zip
Also visit this link: Compile Pal - This is a very user friendly compiler, I totally recommend it. Especially for beginners.

For the second link: Simply extract everything into a folder and do NOT open compile pal for now. Follow the steps below first to get hammer++ running. When you have followed the steps below, you will be allowed to open Compile pal.

When you download the zip from the first link, extract it. You will notice a hammerplusplus folder, and inside that folder, there is a folder called bin. Now open another explorer window and go to your tf2 location. By default this is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2

Remember the bin folder that is INSIDE the hammerplusplus folder from the zip that you downloaded? Just move it into the Team Fortress 2 folder. Now open the bin folder that is inside Team Fortress 2 and find hammerplusplus.exe. Once you have found it, right click it and click on create shortcut (send to desktop). Now you can start hammer from your desktop. BUT WAIT! Don't start hammer++ YET. First, go back to the BIN folder inside Team Fortress 2 folder, now search for hammer.exe OR hammer.bat (if hammer.exe is not there) and now start hammer.exe. After it's started up, close it again. NOW you can start up hammer++. I won't explain now why you have to start the original hammer first, to keep things simple. But just do it.

If you want to add hammerplusplus to steam, make sure to browse for the original hammer++ exe, and not the shortcut. Just in case you ever move the shortcut or delete it.

Congratulations! You're now ready to get started with torture Mapping.

In the top left corner you will find a button called 'file', click on it and then press new. Now you will find 4 different windows. You will need all of them. But to create a simple wall, you will always have to use the 2D grids, never use the 3d grids to adjust the size of your brushes (walls).
So after creating a new project, you will already see an environment. The view with the environment is called the 3D view. Now, it's important to remember that nothing is allowed to be in that environment, only walls and skybox textures are allowed to be there. Anything else will make your map fail to compile properly.

Now I will send you a video that is part of a series, the program of the mapper is outdated but ignore that because it's pretty similar. Don't use the original hammer like he does in the video.

Watch it and listen properly to what he says. Follow his guides and make sure to watch all videos in the series.

If you have any questions, my discord is sunstep#0001
thank you

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Top Bottom