Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Read Me How to always have a demo recorded of a rulebreaker

Melectrome

Legendary
Copy and paste this into the console.
Code:
ds_enable 2;
ds_sound 1;
ds_log 1;
ds_notify 2;
ds_min_streak 100;
ds_kill_delay 5;
ds_dir demos;
ds_prefix rec;
ds_autodelete 1
Whenever you see someone rulebreak type "ds_mark something" in the console to save the demo.
Replace the "something" in the command with anything you want that will help you recognize the demo, make sure it's in the " " quotation marks.
FKuv17bCTi66UdkdTnzV4Q.png

To find the demo you saved go to your "tf" folder and go to the "demos" folder. All your saved demos should be stored there.
Open the _events.txt file and find the demo by the [name] of the bookmark.
The bookmark will have the tick of the moment you bookmarked making it easier to find the moment in demo playback.
6FUih7QZTEyB_NILC0YsSQ.png

An example of a _events.txt file with a bookmark

FAQ/Common issues
In the menu click "Options"
RZ0kY3-lS_eYlWjsWhKzpA.png

then in options click the button that says "Advanced".
bowK41LeQ4OnywrYpV8tVQ.png

A small box should pop up.
In that box make sure that "Enable developer console" is checked.
FpyWSkC6Qw_YN9zfciZ9aA.png

Hit "OK", then "Apply" and "OK" again.

Now when you press the ~ key on your keyboard the console should open.
To find the "tf" folder, open Steam and go to your Library
N8MKkTwRTbWGfdgqR5V-6Q.png

right click on Team Fortress 2 and click "Properties"
zUuTmVyPTLiZAQ-_GrUoIw.png

Select the "Local Files" tab in the popup that should show up and click "Browse Local Files".
nVkA9fuPTui-uR5DEYcSLA.png

The "tf" folder should be there, and the "demos" folder should be inside of it.
Vp7xTM2ST7O9XYNI7WIqkA.png
Just crouch jump. It fixes the "lag".
No, you don't need to. Once you enter them, they are saved in your config.cfg file and you're good to go.
You can look up on the internet what each command changes, or you can take a look at these two guides which provide explanations for these commands:
https://blackwonder.tf/threads/full-demo-support-guide.7919/
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=695320772
Whenever you will join a game and select a team, a sound will play and you will see a message on screen saying "Demo recording started" or something like that.
If you don't hear the sound and can't see the on-screen notification, then something is wrong. In that case, contact me and I'll be happy to help you out and fix the issue!
Simple. Type
ds_enable 0
in console to disable it.

If you have any other questions or problems, feel free to ask!
You can reach out to me through Steam or Discord.
Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/melectrome
Discord: Melectrome#0007

Last edited:

Lightion

Wicked Nasty

thao

So what does putting all the ds_ commands in the console really do? and do you need to execute them everytime?

Melectrome

Legendary
So what does putting all the ds_ commands in the console really do? and do you need to execute them everytime?
Putting all those commands in console just changes the settings for Demo Support, which you can do from TF2's Advanced Settings manually, but using the commands I provided is faster, easier and better.

You have to put the commands in console only once.
Unless you have your "config.cfg" file set to "read only" attribute, in which case you have to put all those commands in autoexec.cfg OR disable the read only attribute for config.cfg, put the commands in console again and close down tf2, but I'm pretty sure you don't have your config.cfg set to read-only ;)

Melectrome

Legendary
Last edited:

Melectrome

Legendary
Personally I use the P-REC plugin to auto-record demos, but this is also a good way too!
P-REC is okay, but lacking a lot of features and it crashes in Valve's Competetive. Demo support was made based off P-REC and was added in the game to fix that issue and make the tool available for every user

The Switch Guy

Scarcely Lethal

AyeTSG

P-REC is okay, but lacking a lot of features and it crashes in Valve's Competetive. Demo support was made based on P-REC to fix that issue and make the tool available for every user
Ah, I would move to demo support for one thing. Is there a way to make the name of the map the demo was recorded on in the demo's name?

Melectrome

Legendary
Ah, I would move to demo support for one thing. Is there a way to make the name of the map the demo was recorded on in the demo's name?
No sadly,
but you can add prefixes to every demo,
and also there are other tools like Lawena that have a built in feature that checks instantly on what map was a demo recorded

D

Deleted member 2120

I personally find it easier using a video recording software whenever someone starts to rule break.

Lightion

Wicked Nasty

thao

Very useful commands, ds_autodelete 1 for example allows convenient removable of demos that don't have any evidence for rulebreakers. Now i was able to make 42 reports weekly with just this 1 command and ds_record, and ds_stop

Melectrome

Legendary
Very useful commands, ds_autodelete 1 for example allows convenient removable of demos that don't have any evidence for rulebreakers. Now i was able to make 42 reports weekly with just this 1 command and ds_record, and ds_stop
I adjusted the commands to make reporting with proper evidence easier and faster and making saving highligts in normal games easy to access and easy to find as well. Glad to hear you started using it and put it to a good use :)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 14)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Top Bottom