Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Declined Hermitcraft server for BLW?

Pastafarianism

Strange
Basically a cooperative MC server for those not interested in stuff like Factions or PVP, where everyone can get along and build some really cool stuff.
No creative mode or anything

Possible rules (Thanks Philip <3):
1. No killing for no reason/without consent
2. No griefing
3. No stealing
4. No cheating
5. NSFW content is a big no-no >:[

Other things:
- Large map size for plenty of building, possible separated into building theme areas like the OG Hermitcraft.
- Definitely have a shopping area so people can make a profit and trade.
- NO PLUGINS, maybe a couple of quality-of-life datapacks like mob spawner mining, armor-stand moving (if that's a thing), etc. Otherwise, a completely vanilla experience.
- No plots, plots are for babies
- Possibly have a whitelist/blacklist that updates as time to let players in/ban players that grief or ruin the fun for everyone (ngl, probably me)
- Freedom, very important. You're allowed to build a lot and express your creativity as long as it's not intentionally hurting someone else
- Possible 24/7 server access, let people build things while others are offline. Can let for some funny moments, e.g AFK pranking, as long as it's harmless.
- NO CREATIVE / OP ACCESS, would kind of ruin the point of vanilla survival experience.
- Towns, towns everywhere. Encourage building up a community.
- KEEP THE MAP THE SAME, possibly keep a back-up just in case, but it would be nice to have the same map over a very large period of time in order to see how it expands and grows over time
- Again, Vanilla experience, server is mostly self-sufficient and doesn't need the help of any plugins or anything.
- Keep the server up-to-date, aka 1.14 right now.
- Community projects, server should be allowed to occasionally form large-scale community projects, e.g Wars, Nether-Highways, Spawn base, Nether-hub, etc. Remember that it's all in good fun and the entire map should probably at one point be considered it's own country.
- Server projects, Should occasionally host events on the server, maybe monthly, bi-monthly, whatever gives enough time for people to make progress and bring up competition. E.g, Phantom hunt, community build contribution, etc. It should be pretty fun.
- Maybe have a close-knit society based around a couple of people, maybe 10-15, OR open the server to the majority of the BLW playerbase, possibly even beyond that, having player counts up in the 100s. I would prefer something inbetween, but it's up for debate.
- Everyone should be nice to eachother, there would hopefully be no aggresive amounts of conflict or anything.
- Pranking should be allowed, as long as it's relatively harmless and in fun
- All the materials and supplies, pretty much everything should be gathered by hand.
- People should be able to have access to other people's projects, maybe not bases, but large projects like mob grinders or xp farms, as long as they have permission
- To go along with the freedom point, almost nothing should be banned. Probably the only things that should be banned are lag machines or any other build that would make the server unplayable. All items should be allowed.

Everybody should have fun on it, and it should be a really cool project and experience for a lot of people.
Also, this is just a rough idea, it may be too similar to the actual Hermitcraft, and I would enjoy having it eventually become it's own thing based on the foundation of Hermitcraft, being a cooperative, fun MC experience.

Also, thanks to the bunch of people on the Discord for helping me w/ ideas <3 :]

Last edited:

Philip

Australium
Y o s.

I think a good model for such a Hermit Craft server would be something like this:

Also I think there should be a bit more settings involved such as removing fire spread as well as mob destruction to prevent intentional/unintentional griefing.

Also, I think there should also be a whitelist for commands that can be used. For instance, the command used to spawn the debug stick to help with building.

Aba

Abaddon :)
Staff Member
Admin
I myself am not a fan of factions/pvp and would actually enjoy coming a server specific for just messing around the map and create something huge with others. Therefore I would see this as a great opportunity to get along with others and have some fun without fearing of being looted when I'm offline.

Short: I really would be glad to see such thing, that's a 'yes, please' from me

Pastafarianism

Strange
[9QUOTE="Philip, post: 74033, member: 2523"]
Also I think there should be a bit more settings involved such as removing fire spread as well as mob destruction to prevent intentional/unintentional griefing.
[/QUOTE]

I agree with the fire-spread, because that could cause all sorts of messes if it was enabled, but I'm a bit conflicted with the mob destruction. Yes it would stop briefing, intentional or unintentional, but it would also get rid of the experience that comes with creepers, or (Maybe, I don't know how the command works) the ability to excavate large areas using TNT. Imo it depends on how the server is run, if it's more private like the OG Hermitcraft, I would say to turn off fire-spread, but keep mob destruction on. If it's more open with lots of different people being able to join, it might be a better idea to remove both.

Cammy

Legendary

Cammy

...So this is what the current factions server is?
A quick glance tells me that you're basically asking for a vanilla server with no PvP or factions.
The current server is vanilla with PvP and Factions, but nobody actually fights or raids although it's allowed.

Each of your 'OTHER THINGS' points answered below:

The current server's map is 20,000 x 20,000, so it's large enough to fit the size you're looking for.

There is a store area to sell items and buy items.

There are plugins already in use on the Factions server that do not affect a Vanilla experience. If you really wanted a Vanilla experience in the Factions server, you only need to not use Factions.

Whitelist/Blacklist will only reduce player population as potential new players would not be able to join.

Griefers/Cheaters are always going to be a problem, even with a black/whitelist. There are plugins that prevent griefing/cheating.

The current server allows full freedom save for a couple of areas in the world that cannot be modified/claimed (Factions).

The server is always online except for maintenance or server issues.

The furthest someone can go with op/creative is being able to purchase Flight (within Factions).

The current map has had no resets or regens since official launch.

Server is up to date.

You want a vanilla experience but want shopping areas? People set up stalls and then someone steals from them when nobody is looking.

There were some events on the current server but none that I've been aware of recently. Nobody has really tried to set up any community projects aside from the original creation of spawn, and the maze community event.

You mentioned blacklist/whitelist and then further down mention about opening up to whole blw (or more) playerbase. Make up your mind.

Being nice to eachother depends on the person and situation. If someone was encroaching on your land that you've spent weeks working on, you wouldn't be too happy I bet.

'Pranking' can be considered griefing regardless of how minor it is. One wrong opinion is all it takes to have a long-time player punished.

Again, you can ignore Factions and the server store to have the pure vanilla experience.

...So you're saying that you should have access to someone elses project as long as you have permission...
I don't know about you, but I think there are plugins that can handle that for me. Factions is a great one. It gives you the ability to control exactly who can do what in your owned lands.

It's a good suggestion, but honestly, I don't see much difference other than the whole 'NO FACTIONS' part of it.

Philip

Australium

I agree with the fire-spread, because that could cause all sorts of messes if it was enabled, but I'm a bit conflicted with the mob destruction. Yes it would stop briefing, intentional or unintentional, but it would also get rid of the experience that comes with creepers, or (Maybe, I don't know how the command works) the ability to excavate large areas using TNT. Imo it depends on how the server is run, if it's more private like the OG Hermitcraft, I would say to turn off fire-spread, but keep mob destruction on. If it's more open with lots of different people being able to join, it might be a better idea to remove both.
Yeah I just looked into it, and disabling mob griefing doesn't affect TNT. However, it affects a lot of other things too, so yeah it's better to keep it on. Fire spread is annoying and can destroy a lot of the wooden structures built on the server. For instance, a stray lightning bolt, a decorative fire, or even lava.

Also I would like to discuss using the "keep inventory" gamerule. Potentially, it would dissuade murderers from killing people directly and/or using traps/farms to kill players indirectly. However, idk how this will affect the vanilla experience.

Pastafarianism

Strange
...So this is what the current factions server is?
A quick glance tells me that you're basically asking for a vanilla server with no PvP or factions.

Pretty much, just a vanilla server. No plugins at all. It's kind of hard to actually explain how a server like this would work, but it's basically the Hermitcraft series, the main problem with that is that I'm pretty sure that there is a whitelist, so something would definitely have to be worked out there. I'm not the only one who wants a server that's basically just vanilla survival with no plugins, no prebuilt areas, etc.

also FYI: I personally dislike Factions and MCMMO. I don't want RPG elements and claiming in a sandbox game. I can see the appeal, but honestly I don't like them. Same with the balance/money system, I don't want to be able to grind melons and buy a bunch of diamonds. If there's a shop, I should have to trade items for items, and not be able to cheese it. Sure you can do that without the balance system, but usually it's a bit harder as some players don't exactly want four million melon slices.

There is a store area to sell items and buy items.

Yes, but it's not player-run, and it's all pre-built when the server was being made. Also, it's runned entirely off of Factions and the Balance system, which is annoying. No one player gets a reward from buying stuff, and you can easily just make a melon farm or dig out a large area. Also, those blocks could be put to use for someone else who needs them and can trade for them, instead of tossing them into the void.

You want a vanilla experience but want shopping areas? People set up stalls and then someone steals from them when nobody is looking.
Griefers/Cheaters are always going to be a problem, even with a black/whitelist. There are plugins that prevent griefing/cheating.

This is virtually unavoidable if it's public, which is why it's a bit hard to talk about. Hopefully there would be a trust system, but it would be completely unreliable. It could be changed so you have to manually sell things and killing people in certain areas could be illegal, but that part needs some thought. Also, the plan with a whitelist (if there is one, more on that later) would be to have trusted people who you could be relatively certain would actually abide by the rules.

The server is always online except for maintenance or server issues.
The current map has had no resets or regens since official launch.

It sounds like you're assuming I'm criticizing the actual factions server online right now, which is fair, that might be what it sounds like, but it's false. I'm pitching an idea that me and a couple other people on the discord might think would be a good/decent idea to have on BLW, not changing the faction server but making an entirely new one. I don't think it would be super hard to keep going as the server should be self-sufficient other than occasional challenges, but I'm don't know much about running servers so asking me would be a bad decision. Basically, have them be two seperate servers.
Also,
Server is up to date.
No, it's not. I think you might need 1.14 to actually play on the faction server itself, but due to the plugins, the server still runs like 1.13. I know this because 1). I asked other people. 2). I've tried crafting 1.14 items to no avail, they're non-existent. Honestly more of a nitpick than anything else.

You mentioned blacklist/whitelist and then further down mention about opening up to whole blw (or more) playerbase. Make up your mind.

Problem is, I can't make up my mind. Both have their own different problems. I mostly would like the server to be a cooperative vanilla experience similar to that of Hermitcraft, but the problem with that is not everybody would want to abide by the rules. Which opens up a problem with having no whitelist because that means that griefers can join in, grief, then leave with almost nobody knowing what happened as far as I know about servers. But also, having a whitelist might mean that nobody would really play on the server, and that it wouldn't grow or become popular. I'm really conflicted about the decision.
My personal opinion would be having a whitelist, but that kind of defeats the point of having a giant playerbase that's basically it's own country.
If the idea does go through with Bene, it's entirely up to him to decide what to do. Again, this isn't a final idea, it's mostly just suggestions of what it could be.

There are plugins already in use on the Factions server that do not affect a Vanilla experience. If you really wanted a Vanilla experience in the Factions server, you only need to not use Factions.
Again, you can ignore Factions and the server store to have the pure vanilla experience.

I'm gonna speak from a bit of my personal experience and say, no, you can't. It's not really just factions at all, that's minor. It's more of just MCMMO and all the stupid stuff that adds that I would much rather be punted into the void. Sure some of it might be good, but overall imo it's just more confusing, and I dislike it. It's all bias lol. Also, there's banned items like Shulker shells. Shulker boxes are extremely useful for backpacks and transporting items, and the fact that they're banned is painful. As far as I know, there is a good reason for it, but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the plugins that are on the server.

more factions :[
You can't ignore plugins, because they change how the game actually works, and I honestly don't like them. (Other than the quality-of-life ones like getting mob spawners using silk touch, but those could just be in datapacks instead, which might run better? I don't know, but it's probably better to use something that can be easily integrated into the game rather than something that is at least a little more complicated to do.)

Being nice to eachother depends on the person and situation. If someone was encroaching on your land that you've spent weeks working on, you wouldn't be too happy I bet.

'Pranking' can be considered griefing regardless of how minor it is. One wrong opinion is all it takes to have a long-time player punished.

One of the main points of the server is to have fun.
Imo people should have the option to visit other players. No offence, but if you get angry over someone walking nearby or in your base, it might be a very slight overreaction (Unless they try to take your stuff or cause major damage, then it's not an overreaction and you should have the option to d e l e t e them.)
Overall it is up to the admins and how people interpret stuff like that, but someone shouldn't get banned for putting a few chickens in someone's base. Again, see the OG Hermitcraft series, at least S6 which is the one I'm watching. It most likely won't be the same, but I (And quite possibly some other people, I don't know) would enjoy stuff like
It should all be for fun, but again, these are still suggestions and are open to being changed based on how the server is being run. Most of the thread was based off of the original Hermitcraft and stuff they did on there, other people's suggestions, and my own opinions.

In my opinion, the server should be virtually all vanilla, no plugins or anything. If I could just ignore the plugins from the Factions server, I would do that and this thread quite possibly would've never been made, but I can't. I, and a few others, want to be able to play cooperatively with a vanilla experience. I probably repeated a couple points here and there, and probably dodged a few questions, but keep in mind that this was entirely based on how I saw the server going and how I saw what might happen, which is entirely unrealistic as it's basically Hermitcraft.
It's more than just: "NO FACTIONS", it's cooperative vanilla. Entire built from the ground up in survival mode by the community with no plugins, no shortcuts.

Also most of this is opinionated with little to no fact, sorry I'm ranting and feel free to disagree with most if not all of my points. Sorry if I sound rude or anything.

TL: DR : I want to play singleplayer but it's not singleplayer.

Also go watch Hermitcraft. Season 6 is still going and it's pretty sick.

Benedevil

Blackwonder's Own
Staff Member
Owner
Developer
Hello,
I don't believe this is a good idea, since it's even more niche and people would have to download the mod pack.
Thank you for your suggestion

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Top Bottom