Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Resolved "Bad inline model number ###" map fix

gore

aeiou
Staff Member
Admin

gore

Greetings, I have recently came across an issue with bad inline model numbers and I got too lazy to use Google so I started finding the solutions to it myself, and so I did.
Do note that we will be taking the example of map ba_jail_wildwest_v8.
This guide also requires WinRAR since I used that as a tool for extraction.

You would require to go to the directory where all your downloaded maps from the community are, then you would have to go to whatever drive that you used to install Steam and then go to steamapps/common/Team Fortress 2/tf/download/maps.
unknown.png

You would have to go to your Steam Library, find and then right-click Team Fortress 2 then you click on Properties.
Untitled.png

Afterwards, you click on Browse Local Files and then you should be directed to Team Fortress 2 Directory.
From then on, follow the first method but from /Team Fortress 2/ onwards.
Untitled.png

If you did it accordingly,
you should be looking at the list of maps that you have downloaded from Community Servers.
1532846926423.png

You would have to find the map name that you had the error, it shouldn't be a BSP File but a WinRAR archive.
1532847582828.png

Afterwards, you would then have to right-click on it and then click on "Extract Here".
That should be it.

I don't know any other solution to the error other than this, and I don't know how common this error is.
But now there's a guide for it, so there shouldn't be an issue anymore; But if there is, let me know.

Temporary solution for now by the way.

Last edited:

Noodl

Something Else
Staff Member
Developer
Admin

Noodl

This doesn't make sense for a few reasons.
A) Bad inline model number is due to a map problem, when static content (decals) is on dynamic brush entities like doors and platforms etc.
Hence
B) Extracting from an archive would do nothing as the server's map needs the brush fix, not your local one. Changing your local maps will result in CRC to fail.
C) What even is that zip archive, I've never seen a map archive itself. The only thing I can surmise is that's it's a bsp.bz2, which is what the maps are archived for on FDL.

Melectrome

Legendary
Extracting from an archive would do nothing as the server's map needs the brush fix, not your local one. Changing your local maps will result in CRC to fail.
this is why the creator of the tool asked server providers to fix this instead of clients, people can get the bad map error now instead

Also, it appears that the creator of the map has already fixed the issue in the latest update of the map.

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Top Bottom