Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Declined Av's Staff Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdnascentiaV

Av

Personal Information

Name

Av

Your Age

Your SteamID
Steam Profile
[U:1:173147465]

Server Information

Have you managed servers previously?

Yes, just not any tf2 servers. I manage mc.adnascentiav.tf (very small minecraft server) and several competitive teams.

Are you familiar with admin commands?
No, but I have some general ideas on what they are and how they work.

On which servers do you usually play?
I usually play in order of playtime, dm_duel, mge, dodgeball, 2fort, Turbine, and a few more. this is across a few server networks not necessarily blackwonder.

Application Questions

Why do you want to become an admin?

I decided to apply after talking with a friend about the duel server I like to play on, and what being a mod/admin on it would be like. I was thinking that I want to be able to keep peace and help people like I do for my irl job. I really think that 'd be able to help because of my history with moderation that I get into later in the application but revolves around competitive exp. I think that i'm a good fit for being a mod/admin due to my critical thinking skills and my ability to handle players in my comp teams. I'm team player and i'd love to lend my abilities to blw.tf. I am pretty good at graphic design and I'm in college for programming, I have a website that I designed myself using adobe's portfolio service. Here's the link adnascentiav.tf. I want to be able to help keep the peace while maintaining the tf2 level of chaos.

Do you know any of our current staff members?
No, but I'm friends with several RGL and UGC staff members if that matters

Please tell us when you usually play and are available.
I'm PST, and I try to play as much as I can. Usually at night so 8pm - 2/3am PST but working around my job and school I will be as flexible as I can be.

How would you go about punishing a hacker, spammer, simple rule breaker, etc?

So it's about time to bring up my history with moderation, I'm a competitive player and I run teams. Usually 8-12 people sometimes more. These teams are usually 60-70% people who I don't know and are just trying out for my team(s). This means I have run into players who are less than favorable in terms of personality there's one player specifically in mind that I have the chat logs for anyone interested. but as for what that means for my application, I'm no wallflower when it comes to dealing out the correct punishments. Here's how I tend to think about punishments in matters of intention. If a player who obviously doesn't know what they're doing a slap on the wrist would let them know that no what they're doing isn't ok. However if someone with a history or that I've seen personally or heard about is doing the same thing over and over again a light tempmute or something along those lines isn't going to cut it. A person who didn't know the rules, while ignorance is no excuse would get a much lighter punishment. for instance if they we're chat spamming they might get a gag for 5-10 mins but when that gets lifted then i'd elevate exponentially. 5 minutes becomes 30, several hours, etc. While I don't necessarily have the rules and the differences memorized, for every league I've played in I try to have a strong understanding of the rules. This means that i'd be able to get them down very quickly. I really relate to the quote "talk softly and carry a big stick" in the sense that no person wants to be perma banned for a mistake but no one wants to be in a server filled to the brim with repeat chat spammers and people just bad mouthing everyone.

Please give any other information you might think is useful for us to know.
All my comp exp is graphically summarized on my website adnascentiav.tf.
This part for me is I think where I'll shine, like I said earlier I have run several different comp teams which gives me a good experience with moderating schedules, talking with other team leaders to setup scrims and most importantly moderating many players. I've spent a lot of time researching how difference hacks work just because i'm fascinated by them, and i'd think i'm pretty good at spotting them even if it's something very subtle. Just a brief history of my gaming exp, I have roughly 5k hours on Forza driving games starting when I was 8. I started playing tf2 years ago but wasn't really interested until 1 1/2 years ago which is when I put in most of my 1.7k hours. Donating is something that I've considered but isn't quite in the books for me right now. I've won a few awards as a student for game design but I don't want to dox my self so I'll leave it at i'm good at graphics, and graphic design. You guys might be interest in me being in college for computer science and I've recently taken an interest in networking, and i'm thinking about getting my CCNA from cisco. I also moderate some discord servers kinda not worth mentioning since they're 30-50 people so pretty small. p.s. not relevant to my app but i'm #3 on this server https://tfstats.tf/server/351127

Thanks for reading my application and if you have any questions feel free to ask!
-Av

Lala7586.

Positively Inhumane
Staff Member
Admin
Hi,

I enjoyed reading your application, nice work (y)

How would you go about punishing a hacker, spammer, simple rule breaker, etc?

So it's about time to bring up my history with moderation, I'm a competitive player and I run teams. Usually 8-12 people sometimes more. These teams are usually 60-70% people who I don't know and are just trying out for my team(s). This means I have run into players who are less than favorable in terms of personality there's one player specifically in mind that I have the chat logs for anyone interested. but as for what that means for my application, I'm no wallflower when it comes to dealing out the correct punishments. Here's how I tend to think about punishments in matters of intention. If a player who obviously doesn't know what they're doing a slap on the wrist would let them know that no what they're doing isn't ok. However if someone with a history or that I've seen personally or heard about is doing the same thing over and over again a light tempmute or something along those lines isn't going to cut it. A person who didn't know the rules, while ignorance is no excuse would get a much lighter punishment. for instance if they we're chat spamming they might get a gag for 5-10 mins but when that gets lifted then i'd elevate exponentially. 5 minutes becomes 30, several hours, etc. While I don't necessarily have the rules and the differences memorized, for every league I've played in I try to have a strong understanding of the rules. This means that i'd be able to get them down very quickly. I really relate to the quote "talk softly and carry a big stick" in the sense that no person wants to be perma banned for a mistake but no one wants to be in a server filled to the brim with repeat chat spammers and people just bad mouthing everyone.
I liked your answer but sadly not the answer I would look for. I don't expect an applicant to know every rules punishment 100% and I think most of the staff members would agree with this. It would be nice to get an idea of how you would punish rulebreakers and possibly also see how much research you have made about the rules and their punishments and in general BlackWonder.
A nice way to do this could be to list every rule (for the servers you play on) and add a punishment ladder.

You also don't seem to be very active on BlackWonder. According to tfstats.tf, your fist session was 2019-01-12 22:20:27 and since then you have only managed to get a total of 9 hours playtime on Blackwonder.

In my opinion, wait a month or two and re-apply again, because I do see you as a potential staff member. I want to make it clear that this is ONLY my opinion.

AdnascentiaV

Av

Thought i'd update this since there hasn't been much activity, since the first post i've clocked a total of 22 hours (13 hours more) over 9 days. i've also donated a key and am thinking about getting perma donator. I thought i'd also give a bit more detail of how i'd do punishments based of the rule list like Lala suggested.

I've found I play a lot of 2fort and duel so here's the general rule set (i'll also do a bit of VSH at the end)

General Rules
If a player is being offensive by tf2's standards my ladder might go something like this
5 min gag -> 10 min gag -> 1 hour gag-> 24 hour temp ban -> 7 day temp ban

Similar to do not be offensive rule but less sever near the top.
Verbal/Text Warning -> 5 min gag -> 10 min gag -> 1 hour gag-> 24 hour gag

I'd only punish this if they were ignoring me or another staff member telling them to stop.
15 min mute -> 30 min mute -> 2 hour temp ban -> 1 day temp ban

Verbal Warning -> 1 hour gag -> 24 hour gag -> 7 day gag
Verbal Warning -> kick -> 24 hour temp ban -> 7 day temp ban
I don't have much sympathy for hackers so my ladder would be like this
2 staff members are convinced that someone is hacking = insta perma ban
If someone is abusing a map exploit like the sentry spot on upward or a bug in a custom game mode my ladder would be this
Verbal Warning -> kick -> 6 hour temp ban
This is something that really gets on my nerves
Verbal Warning -> 10 min gag/mute -> 12 hour temp ban
This is something that i'm having a hard time finding a punishment for, something that fits the crime so to speak
Explanation on why they're being punished and a 1 hour temp ban -> repeat offenders get auto 7 day temp ban
3 hour gag -> 12 hour mute and gag -> 7 week temp ban
This rule is funny to my as a competitive player but it to me is situational, if there's 2 players on a 2fort server and one is only hugging their spawn cabinet I see no reason to punish the bloke who's just standing there taking damage. However if someone is maliciously spawncamping like sticky jumping to defender spawn on badwater and camping then that deserves punishment
Verbal warning -> Smite -> kick -> 4 hour temp ban -> 24 hour temp ban
Ok the programmer in me is constantly looking for edge cases and this rule has a few blaring ones like friendlies and if you're willing to strech not playing the objective. but those aside malicious griefing punishments look like this
Verbal warning -> kick -> 12 hour temp ban -> 24 hour temp ban -> 7 day temp ban

VSH
  • Camping
This rule would be mosly verbal warnings and smites

verbal warning -> smite -> smite -> smite -> kick
  • Delaying Rounds
Mostly Smites
smite -> smite -> smite -> kick
  • Friendlies
Interesting to me that people would join a VSH game and be friendly
verbal warning -> smite -> smite -> smite -> kick

Repeat Offenders
People who I know/I check on who have been punished before will receive much more sever punishments ending in a ban. People who will not listen to reason should not be allowed to cause chaos and/or harass the players of Black wonder. Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Jim

Cutiepie.tf
Staff Member
Admin
You ignored the majority of what Lala said which was about researching your punishments. What you included is very off track and certain things aren’t even relevant to our servers. We don’t require applicants to be perfectly spot on but at least having a general idea is appreciated, especially after being specifically told so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Top Bottom