Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Completed Add a text channel that allows different languages and have it work like a second #general

Status
Not open for further replies.

BananAsriel

Totally Ordinary

Banana

As the title suggests and simply put: add a text channel in discord where the english only rule is excluded and have it work similarly as a #general channel, i think a noticeably big portion of people that come to the discord don't primarily speak english and i believe this can be helpful and nice towards that portion of the community.

Ash Shaw

Gore-Spattered
Staff Member
(My opinion as a member isn't much valid speaking for the standpoint of a staff member... but...)
If I were a staff member it'd personally be no skin off of my back if Bene were to add another channel that was other language prioritized and the additional community involve would be awesome but I see 3 main immediate problems.
1. How would they be monitored if admins don't speak/understand the language.
2. Where do you draw the line if there's more than one language being spoke?
3. Do you make other different channels such as #off-topic, #request-help, #announcements other language specific for them?

Last edited:

BananAsriel

Totally Ordinary

Banana

(My opinion as a member isn't much valid speaking for the standpoint of a staff member... but...)
If I were a staff member it'd personally be no skin off of my back if Bene were to add another channel that was other language prioritized and the additional community involve would be awesome but I see 3 main immediate problems.
1. How would they be monitored if admins don't speak/understand the language.
2. Where do you draw the line if there's more than one language being spoke?
3. Do you make other different channels such as #off-topic, #request-help, #announcements other language specific for them?
There are staff members who are fluent or native in other languages, most commonly spanish and portuguese which are also the most common cases of non-english in the community including BR servers. I don't feel like there is a line to be drawn if there is more than one language, my view for this idea, which leads me to answer your third question, is to allow users who don't primarily speak english have a space where they can be guided and connect with members and staff who understand them, signaling a user to simply use off-topic for memes or taking their help request if possible so even if there are multiple languages being spoken at once chances are that there will be rather short and instant interactions of support

Jack the Ripper

Unremarkable

Jack

This is patently false as we permit other languages in about 30% of the servers.
My mistake, I had forgotten about the other language servers.

Allow me to revise my suggestion. Similar to the other language servers, if such a channel were to be created in the discord, it would make more sense to make a separate other language discord. Since the servers are segregated, it's fine to segregate the discord. After all, it's very important that these communities are segregated - we wouldn't want people who speak different languages interacting.

Peter

Australium
Staff Member
Admin

CometPM

My mistake, I had forgotten about the other language servers.

Allow me to revise my suggestion. Similar to the other language servers, if such a channel were to be created in the discord, it would make more sense to make a separate other language discord. Since the servers are segregated, it's fine to segregate the discord. After all, it's very important that these communities are segregated - we wouldn't want people who speak different languages interacting.
I do not believe Bene or the managers speak Portuguese so who would create/manage this separate server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

User Who Replied This Thread (Total Members: 6)

Top Bottom